FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom H1 Static Noise Interference

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Hurley
Zoom H1 Static Noise Interference
on Jan 13, 2020 at 2:34:51 am

I have been struggling for a long while now, trying to figure out why my Zoom H1 recorder picks up this very irritating static noise randomly as I'm recording. To me, it sounds like some kind of electronic interference, but I can't figure out how to avoid it. I am hoping someone here knows what's causing this, OR how I can get rid of it in post using either Premiere or Audition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Here's a short clip of said interference: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iF1SKuiGyRbtQV56Npge7eElM7T34a-E

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Zoom H1 Static Noise Interference
on Jan 13, 2020 at 3:41:34 am

Hello Lisa and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

That sound is typical of interference caused by a nearby cell phone. Turn them dead off and move them away from talent and the set. See what happens. Report back.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jan 13, 2020 at 4:56:12 am

Wow! Thank you so much for that info.... sometimes I have control over cell phones, other times I don't... like say for instance.. public events like weddings... So..... do you know how close a cell phone can be to the recorder without causing a problem? Is it just this particular recorder, or is this a problem with all recorders along this line? Yikes!!!! Thanks again.. and I will definitely take your advice and report back! :)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 13, 2020 at 2:31:40 pm

Hello Lisa,

It's not so much the recorder as it is the microphone.

The distance varies a LOT. It depends on the cell phone and the mic. Off hand I don't know any mics that are immune.

I've had clients wear a wireless lav and have a cell phone clipped to their belt and my range has gone from a hundred feet and through walls to ZERO.

One client who comes to my studio has an iPhone that needs to be 6 feet or further. Another client's phone needs to be ten feet or more.

Do some experimentation with your rig and see. The sound of the interference won't always be the same.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jan 14, 2020 at 11:49:00 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for that info.... sometimes I have control over cell phones, other times I don't... like say for instance.. public events like weddings... So..... do you know how close a cell phone can be to the recorder without causing a problem? Is it just this particular recorder, or is this a problem with all recorders along this line? Yikes!!!! Thanks again.. and I will definitely take your advice and report back! ☺

**evidently, this message didn't make it through when I tried to send it... but I'll go ahead and let you know now... I recorded yesterday.... and viola! You were correct!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 15, 2020 at 12:10:17 am

Lisa,

Yay!!!!!!

Glad you got it worked out.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Jan 15, 2020 at 12:13:52 am

OOPS.. I did not mean to post that twice.. I did not think it made it through.. But yes... thank you SO MUCH.... I'm sure I'll be getting your book soon! I need it. :)

Return to posts index

David Peterson
on Jan 15, 2020 at 1:41:32 am

Some recorders have better RF shielding than others.

Naturally with the Zoom H1 being the cheapest of the cheapest cheap recorders there is, you can't have too high expectations.

BTW, was this recording from the built H1 mics or from an external mic hooked up to the H1?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]