FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording audio at a festival/concert

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Weathersby
Recording audio at a festival/concert
on Apr 22, 2019 at 5:19:36 pm

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum. If not, I'll move it. I'm about to start a new project. I have to record a number of subjects at outdoor music festivals. They will actually be participating and I'll be shadowing them. My plan is to hide a lav mic on them so subject and myself have freedom to move. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the type of lav to use and placement. I've done this once before in a less active setting and the audio was fine but the cable was damaged in the movement. Trying to avoid that again.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Recording audio at a festival/concert
on Apr 22, 2019 at 11:57:42 pm

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Will those you be following be playing instruments and/or singing? If so, please give us details.

How was the cable damaged? Do you know about taping a lav down inside a performer's clothing?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

David Weathersby
on Apr 23, 2019 at 1:17:38 am

Thanks for responding. One subject might be playing a small portable drum or some other percussion instrument. I plan on putting the mic under his shirt with tape triangles or moleskin.

I'm not a hundred sure how the cable got damaged. There was quite a bit of dancing so that might be it. This shoot coming up will definitely have more dancing. That has me concerned. I'm thinking of renting a unit but buying a spare cable to use so if gets damaged I won't get hit with a damage fee.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 23, 2019 at 2:42:19 pm

David,

The cable that was damaged, that was the lav cable? Do you recall which lav that was?

Define "dancing." ☺

I'm still not understanding the action. How many people walking around a festival? Do others know they are being recorded?

What are you mixing on? What are you recording on?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

David Weathersby
on Apr 23, 2019 at 7:12:44 pm

it was a Sennheiser wireless system G. The protective rubber casing around the lav mic got cut. The subject is a professional dancer but he goes to festivals to dance for fun so there should be quite a bit of movement. There are a number of people walking around that he will probably converse with but I'm only using his audio. I'm recording on an older Tascam DR -60D

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:04:33 pm

"got cut" ???

Return to posts index

David Weathersby
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:36:36 pm

When I got the transmitter back the outer covering around the wire was cut open. not sure if it hit something on his belt or it was pulled too hard. Either way it was damaged. Basically I'm trying to capture any candid dialogue from him and separately get the over ambiance of the festival too which I'll be able to get with a separate microphone

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 25, 2019 at 4:22:05 pm

David,

The mic might have been somewhat damaged before. More care in how you route the cable will probably be fine, but it's never a bad idea to have a backup. The problem is always how much gear to schlep.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]