FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Devices 702 vs MixPre 3

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smith
Sound Devices 702 vs MixPre 3
on Jan 8, 2019 at 1:14:27 pm

I have the 702 and recently saw the MixPre 3.

I only use one microphone for online videos. The max I would ever use is probably 2. I was thinking of selling the 702 and getting the MixPre 3, just because it is smaller and easier to take out wherever I film.

The only thing I am concerned about is the quality. I generally use Schoeps cmc6. Will the MixPre 3 give the same quality of sound? Is there another, better option for $1200 or less?

Bonus question: If I want to do wireless I just use a Sennheiser g3. Is there a wireless transmitter/receiver that could be used with the recorder and the Schoeps?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Sound Devices 702 vs MixPre 3
on Jan 11, 2019 at 10:15:11 pm

Take a look at the Zoom F4 a very well regarded unit with built in time code & more tracks. For wireless the G3 is fine, to get it sound better step up to a top lav mic like the Sanken COS11d. Will make a world of difference in the sound quality from the G3.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Jan 12, 2019 at 1:49:38 am

I had a chance to try out the mixpre 3 and can confirm that the sound is not as great. I think I will just keep the 702.
The sound seemed a bit less full on the mixpre 3. I'm not sure what the proper terminology is...
It's not too big of a deal for portability. The battery lasts a while and it's small enough if I can just rig it under my camera.

Have the Zoom improved a lot? I tried to use the h4n to power a microphone once but it was horrible.

I'm using a cos11d when I use the G3. I just have problems with interference and noise floor even at close range.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 13, 2019 at 12:26:44 am

There is a world of difference between the Zoom "H" series and the "F" series with the "F" being head & shoulders above the H and yes you are correct in your appraisal of the Mix Pre 3 sonics.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]