FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 80D - Mix audio from a wireless lavalier and microphone on DSLR

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Campbell
Canon 80D - Mix audio from a wireless lavalier and microphone on DSLR
on Sep 16, 2018 at 8:45:59 am

Hello everyone,

I have a Canon 80D and this new videography company I'm joining has specific requirements with it's audio. They'd prefer in-camera mixed audio to minimize on editing time, and don't really want any externally recorded audio. They suggested to me I find a way to mix a wireless lavalier and a microphone on top of my DSLR.

I have a theory on how best to do this but I'm posting on here mostly to ensure I'm right and to ask if there's any recommended products that would do the job if not do it better.

What he specifically said was he wanted one channel for Lav. audio and one for mic audio. I have a Rode Microphone and a Movo WMIC50, (both with 3.5mm output). Seems like this will do everything I want.
https://www.amazon.com/Commlite-CVM-AX1-Universal-Microphone-Amplifier/dp/B...

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: Canon 80D - Mix audio from a wireless lavalier and microphone on DSLR
on Sep 16, 2018 at 1:14:38 pm

I'm not familiar with that brand. I would take a look at offerings from Tascam, Zoom and Beachtek.

Bob

Bob

Return to posts index

Chris Campbell
on Sep 16, 2018 at 5:26:30 pm

Thank you for the recommendations! I'll check those out!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 16, 2018 at 4:52:27 pm

Hello Chris and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

DSLRs can be very funky when it comes to the quality of the audio they record.

I don't know where the Canon 80D sits on that spectrum. Most DSLRs default to some auto-level mode and that needs to be disabled.

I think your new business partners don't really know how to shoot and record audio properly. You really don't want a mixer mounted on your camera. It's very difficult to mix and shoot properly at the same time. It sounds like you need a new mixer so you can separately adjust the levels and feed that to the camera. Once learned, syncing externally recorded audio to the computer timeline is pretty easy these days.

The AVX1, while interesting, lacks full 48 V Phantom Power for professional condenser mics. It's price point makes me very nervous. The Sound Device MixPre D is a preferable choice because of its quality, sturdiness and feature set. You can even plug it into a Mac or PC and record to the computer. Yes, way more expensive, but a proper piece of gear that will last a long time and provide excellent audio from the beginning. https://bhpho.to/2OsAQZ1

The lowball approach only leads to disappointment and unhappiness for you and your clients.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Chris Campbell
on Sep 16, 2018 at 5:31:08 pm

Hi Ty,

Trust me, I don't personally agree with it either. I've been shooting with external audio for years and have had many extremely pleased clients. But that's what they wish, money's good and I aim to please. Most likely I'll do what they ask, but also record external audio to give to them for if the quality proves superior (which it more than likely will).

I do appreciate your thorough response though! I'll be sure to check those out! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 16, 2018 at 5:38:29 pm

Chris,

Yes, being there to save the show with external audio is a very good thing, especially when trying to make it happen on a DSLR. It can make you a hero in a second.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 17, 2018 at 3:13:06 pm

Yes. Confucius say: "better to be hero than goat." :>)

Bob

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 17, 2018 at 3:20:43 pm

Yes, at the very least!

I had a job some years back. I told the guy what I was hearing in the camera return didn't sound good. He said all the sound guys say that. I was also recording on my 664 (because I could).

He called me when he got back home and confirmed the audio was not good and asked me to check my mixer (Ha!). I did, it was fine. He said he took his camera somewhere else and they also said his camera audio was bad. Fortunately, I had double recorded. I had just gotten my Sound Devices 664 and was wanting to try it out. He was very thankful.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]