FORUMS: list search recent posts

What can I do about this audio mixing problem with sound effects?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
What can I do about this audio mixing problem with sound effects?
on Aug 8, 2018 at 3:01:21 am

I graduated from film school and on our final film project, basically after I am done completing the video edit and have locked picture, we the students, then turn over our projects to the school who gets audio engineers to do the sound work.

However, I never got to have much input on the sound, and the audio just worked on for a couple of days, and then handed it back to me. Have the sound effects and foley are missing and other sound effects I don't feel should be there, or are not motivated.

For example, there is a scene where a detective has her gun out and she enters a scene looking for a suspect, and then she finds the suspect and points her pistol at him. She then says "don't move".

As she says this, you can here the sound of a pistol's slide being pulled back, then going forward. But when she says 'don't move', she is not doing this to the gun at all, and it's very distracting I find, cause people will think, where did that sound come from, did she pull back on the slide or something, when it didn't look like it?

Things like that bother me about the final sound mix, and I was wondering is it possible to remove the sound of the gun, while keeping her voice saying don't move? I can add in the sound effects that are missing, just wondering if I can remove the ones I was given but do not want.

What do you think?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: What can I do about this audio mixing problem with sound effects?
on Aug 8, 2018 at 10:07:34 am

Sure, you can do that if you are mixing the tracks.
But you can not do that if the track is handed to you already mixed.
Your remedies appear to be:
  • Convince the sound mixer to change his mix.

• Take the audio back and mix it yourself

• ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
    on Aug 8, 2018 at 9:46:17 pm

Okay thanks, I tried to get the sound mixer to change his mix, but he already got rid of the project file.

I have all the original sounds in the OMF container and can get someone to restart from scratch, or I guess another solution would be to keep the mix as is, but just cut out the sections with unwanted sounds in and replace those, then add the sound effects in that are missing to the already mixed mix, if that would work?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
    on Aug 8, 2018 at 10:23:05 pm

Replacing sections might be tricky depending on whether the original mix has any special effects in it. Or background music, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
    on Aug 9, 2018 at 12:18:59 am

Yeah there is music but the composer said he can fix a missing section as well, so we can try that...

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
    on Aug 9, 2018 at 1:06:10 pm

"Okay thanks, I tried to get the sound mixer to change his mix, but he already got rid of the project file."

really!!

When the rest of the world archives everything for............ever!

I wish I could get rid of every client who wants a change by telling them Id deleted it!
    Try telling him that thats a real shame ...........for him...........as now hell have to rebuild the whole thing
    Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

ryan elder
    on Aug 9, 2018 at 9:41:27 pm

Well this isn't just me changing my mind, as I felt he gave me the sound mix without really giving my a choice, and saying 'here, it's done', without me having any say in any of the sound effects, before it was done.

So I felt he should have kept it just in case I wasn't happy, since I didn't really get a say, and therefore, I didn't feel I was changing my mind on him.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
    on Aug 10, 2018 at 6:17:21 am

Hi again.
    youre in a bit of a corner here as this is a student / school relationship rather than a normal producer / studio/commercial relationship.

If it were the latter and on a commercial footing then the whole handling would be totally different with correct archiving and back ups in place, and complete access and involvement for the dir, prod etc.

As it seems to be the former, I dont see you have much of a "whip to crack" so its difficult.
    Good luck with it

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

ryan elder
    on Aug 10, 2018 at 10:36:01 pm

Yeah I would like to fix it myself or with possible help from someone, just not sure if we should only redo the sections with unwanted sound effects, or if I should redo everything.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
    on Aug 11, 2018 at 1:23:24 pm

Yeah that’s shocking on the audio engineer’s part. Noob-worthy really.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
    on Aug 11, 2018 at 1:25:05 pm

How long is the film and how long left for your deadline

Return to posts index

ryan elder
    on Aug 11, 2018 at 5:34:29 pm

Yeah, the school said that the audio engineer really dropped the ball. I wish the school taught us to do our own sound mixing rather than sending it off to someone else for our projects to hand in.

Plus, our professors grade us on the sound, and the sound is part of the grade, but I feel that I am not responsible for the sound, if it gets sent off to someone else, before being handed in, to be graded on.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
    on Aug 13, 2018 at 11:33:58 am

Group projects or relying on others is always scary business at uni. Even if you do get to choose who you work with, it can’t be guaranteed they’re going to deliver what you need, when you need it and at an acceptable level of quality.

Good lecturers/professors will keep in mind your part in the process and evaluate you by only what you have done. If you have to hand in a journal along with your work, make sure you document all these difficulties. It will help them to understand better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]