FORUMS: list search recent posts

Plastic bags as Blimp Wind Protection

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Reynolds
Plastic bags as Blimp Wind Protection
on Aug 5, 2018 at 4:10:49 am

This might be of interest to people in this group.
I do a lot of sporting OB's and wind noise is a common problem on Fx mics.... I thought I would try this....The results are amazing.
Most days I was using a LCF of about 80-100Hz on bad days often go to 150Hz.
What I did was.........
Remove the high wind cover, cover the blimp with 2x VERY light weight plastic bags (from the fruit / veg shop) wrap a single loop of electrical tape to hold it together, then replace the high wind cover.....Done
I can run the mic (Senni 816) without any LCF.
Can't wait to give it a try on my location kit blimp.
I have now run this setup for 3x 3hr broadcasts in high wind.... Totally convinced

'Celebrating 40 years of Broadcasting Audio....
Started with Magnetic stripe and Sprocket holes to now Gigabytes and Touch Screen Mixing Consoles'......

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Plastic bags as Blimp Wind Protection
on Aug 5, 2018 at 12:30:07 pm

While I don't doubt your results for eliminating wind noise as part of the ambience, I wonder how that setup would work on dialog in the same conditions.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Aug 11, 2018 at 1:20:32 pm

Surely it’s got to be cutting out a lot of the high end information. If it were this simple, I’m sure they would be designing wind filters in a similar manor.

While sound does propagate through other materials such as water, or plastic bags, there is a loss of energy in doing so. The first type of energy to go is your high frequencies and all your articulation.

Still, it’s an interesting tip and the results just may still be usable, especially if your only other option is heaps of wind noise in your audio.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 11, 2018 at 11:55:39 pm

Trust me I had exactly the same thoughts for years......
But now putting the VERY light weight bags over the blimps I am TOTALLY convinced.
As of yesterday I have now put 12 hrs of 'Live to Air' football using them.

I have NOT noticed ANY change of the top end frequency response at all, but what I have noticed is I can now add much more bottom end to my mix, It took a while to re-balance things out with the extended frequency available.
The other thing I have discovered is with NO wind noise on the Fx mics you can now push them harder in the mix, so it has changed my mix (for the better).

Please...Please try it for yourself, It costs NOTHING to do.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Aug 13, 2018 at 11:36:43 am

It certainly sounds like an interesting idea. I will absolutely give it a try if and when I get an opportunity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]