FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-mic setup into and iPad

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Davis
Multi-mic setup into and iPad
on Apr 16, 2018 at 5:49:59 pm
Last Edited By Matt Davis on Apr 16, 2018 at 5:50:59 pm

Having a bit of trouble with certain setups streaming live via an iPad. Not my choice to do it this way, just a reality of the client/event.

I have a little iRig adapter that I might use to get one XLR source into the iPad and it usually works no problem. For this setup I had four mics, so I used a 12 channel mixer to mix the mics and send a single feed to the iRig. Didn't work.

I even tried switching the feed to line level, just to see.

So sending one mic plugged straight in (mic level obviously) worked fine, but sending 4 mics mixed and then sent at mic level, didn't work. I used the old check the XLR cable with the my headphones trick and the sound is there. Everything up until the end of my XLR is working right.

My work around for that event was to borrow a Zoom H4 from a buddy and take the feed from the mixer into it, and run it into the iPad via a USB to lightning adapter.

Any ideas what might have gone awry? I'm stumped. I even changed the battery for the iRig. Did the whole shut it all off turn it all on again thing. Danced around my chair three times...

Another question, do they even make a multi-channel mixer with a lightning output? It would be a pretty niche market I suppose...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Multi-mic setup into and iPad
on Apr 17, 2018 at 1:52:18 pm

Hi Matt,

That's very curious. You say it didn't work, as in no audio whatsoever?

I'd have to check the output connector from your mixer or mixer settings first.

Are you sure the mixer was working? Can you test it into something else?

Yes, thrice around the chair is the norm. ☺

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Apr 17, 2018 at 2:09:16 pm

Hi Ty,

Yes no audio received in the iPad whatsoever with the mixer as the source.

I used my headphone plug (the old jam it in the end of the XLR and make the rings touch the right contacts trick) to ensure that there was nice beautiful clean sound coming down the cable.

Like I said, my work around was to plug it into a Zoom H4 (two channel portable recorder/mixer) and use it's output to go into the iPad.

The iRig adapter uses the iPad's headphone jack as the input and it has worked fine for me with a single mic before. The Zoom H4 goes in via USB to Lightning.

I could just use this workaround going forward, but it's bizarre that I need to. Why would the iRig or iPad care what the source of my signal was? Both are mic level, both are mono feeds...

Weird...

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 17, 2018 at 4:00:29 pm

It would be helpful to know exactly which iRig adapter you are asking about. And which mixer.
When you were poking around the XLR connector did you confirm that you were getting audio between pin 2 and pin 3?
Yes, there are many small mixers that have USB output. You should be able to plug that into Lightning with the proper adapter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]