FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speakers for Editing

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Newberry
Speakers for Editing
on Mar 15, 2018 at 2:01:44 pm

I'm just upgrading some parts of my edit suite and I need to get a new speaker set up.

I'm not a sound editor, so I appreciate you guys probably use kit that is a lot more expensive and awesome than I need. I just need a decent kit to get me through basic edits and the early stages of sound work.

I've used for about 15 odd years the Harman Kardon soundsticks. Which have always been great for the cost. But I'm kind of sick of seeing them now! ha ha

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other decent speakers for editing - in the early hundreds (up to say £500) would be great

Thank you

Return to posts index

David Chai
Re: Speakers for Editing
on Mar 15, 2018 at 2:41:26 pm

JBL 305's are great. They are even better when you add the sub LSR310s. Add a decent sound card and you get awesome sound you can mix with and translates well to other speakers.

------------------------
David Chai - Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com

Return to posts index

Chris Newberry
on Mar 15, 2018 at 2:43:22 pm

David - that's super helpful, thank you. I shall take a look into them

All the best

Chris

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Mar 15, 2018 at 6:53:00 pm

Hello. I assume you are talking about "near field" monitors. This might be of interest: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/tips-and-solution/studio-monitor...

I have had good results with offerings from Yamaha, TOA, Tannoy and JBL. Just search "near field monitors."

Bob

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 15, 2018 at 7:23:11 pm

There are certainly high-end, near-field monitors like Genelec which are a sure bet. But at a significant price.

IMHO, the best value for excellent performance at a great price these days is the JBL 3 series (305P, 306P, 308P). I have a pair of 305 and just got a pair of 308

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Mar 16, 2018 at 2:29:28 am

+1 for the JBL LSR 305's. I've got 3 pair that I use for various monitoring applications. Amazing sound from such a small box & small price, I think I paid about $225 for each pair. The bad news is they are discontinued by JBL.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 16, 2018 at 1:59:44 pm

[Eric Toline] "The bad news is they are discontinued by JBL."

But the good news is that vendors are clearing out the first-generation "LSR" series. I got my LSR308 monitors for $150 each which is the bargain of the year. Shop around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 19, 2018 at 9:15:54 am

Make that +2 on the JBL LSR 305s.

I retired my Mackie 824s because they were just too large for my current setup and I’m surprised how little I’ve missed them.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Chris Newberry
on Mar 22, 2018 at 10:04:01 am

Everyone! Thank you all so much! Really helpful! It seems the JBL's are ruling the roost! I shall take look

And then purchase something to get them conntected to my Mac! lol

Thanks again everyone

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Mar 24, 2018 at 9:04:00 pm

You can feed the JBL's from your head phone output. You'll need a 3.5mm TRS to L & R 6mm or 1/4" tip sleeve connectors with wire of appropriate length. For more control over level I would suggest a Pyramid SEA-2500x preamplifier. It has RCA in & outs. Check it out on line to see all the features it offers, about $100.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Chris Newberry
on Mar 25, 2018 at 12:41:44 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much ☺

I shall check it out

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]