FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony UWP-D11 Wireless White Noise Floor

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Stablein
Sony UWP-D11 Wireless White Noise Floor
on Mar 9, 2018 at 4:58:42 pm

I recently purchased a Sony UWP-D11 and I'm noticing quite a bit of white noise hiss. I've owned the UWP-V1 and from my testing the noise floor on the newer model is about 3-6db louder. I'm wondering what's normal? The specs on the product say 90db SNR so I thought it would be pretty quiet but really it's not as quiet as I expected. So here's what I've done-

I tested several UHF channels and am sure I'm not on a local TV channel. The RF signal is great. I set the UTX-B03 attenuation at 9db after testing recordings from 0db-15db. Listening through headphones on the URX-P03 I definitely hear the hiss. It's not terrible; just not as clean as I expected on this unit. My output on the RX is set at 0db and I'm recording on a Canon 7D DSLR. The levels all look good and my recordings match what I'm hearing on the headphones.

Adding a DeNoiser filter on a recorded audio clip just for analysis displays Noisefloor at -58db. In further testing, raising the output of Rx and lowering gain on the DSLR raises the hiss noise too. Is -58db noisefloor in the range of normal operation of this unit or do you think my TX mic input level was set too low from factory? Or something else?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sony UWP-D11 Wireless White Noise Floor
on Mar 10, 2018 at 12:09:28 am

Hello Jim and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Canon 7D....I remember that when the 5D Mkiii came out it was first in the series that could actually record audio well at all.

System noise has many sources. Could be something as simple as the lav itself being noisier.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Jim Stablein
Re: Sony UWP-D11 Wireless White Noise Floor
on Mar 13, 2018 at 6:41:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to be in a professional forum.

I swapped mics with the one that came with the UWP-V1 and not much difference. I opened a case with Sony Pro support but no reply yet.

Has anyone checked their noise floor on the UWP-D11?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]