FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recorded audio level is about 10 dB less when imported into Premier Pro or Audition

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Rosaaen
Recorded audio level is about 10 dB less when imported into Premier Pro or Audition
on Nov 17, 2017 at 10:24:03 pm

I'm new to professional audio but familiar with Premier Pro CC and Audition.

Using a Sound Devices 633, I recorded a short test track in a dB range between -20 and -10.

When I open the .wav file in Premier (or Audition), the DB scale indicates about 10 DB less. I.e., the range is between -30 to -20.

Even when using my camcorder to record audio and video, this has always been the case. I have usually shot for a production with an average -12 dB level, which means I've always had to boost the volume in post.

Does anyone know what's up?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Recorded audio level is about 10 dB less when imported into Premier Pro or Audition
on Nov 18, 2017 at 1:33:29 am

Unless you use a stable test tone, you are only estimating what the audio levels are. And you are seeing the difference between the peak-reading meters during recording vs the average-reading waveform in the editing software. If you zoom in to the waveform, you will see the occasional peaks that were showing up on the recorder meter, but are averaged out by the editing software level envelope display.

Now, if you use a stable test tone and record it at -10dBFS, then you should see -10dBFS in the editing software.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Recorded audio level is about 10 dB less when imported into Premier Pro or Audition
on Nov 18, 2017 at 9:32:55 pm

I agree with Richard.
The ballistics, even type of meter on the recorder, and the graticule vs the nle can be completely different.
1 k calibration tone at a known value is what you need
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 19, 2017 at 5:17:51 pm

to add to that, the 1kz tone generator at a set distance to each mic each time acts as a 'standard' for post editing. you'll edit 10x faster as you'll know what db its supposed to be across all mic types and input. its due to the inverse square law for sound.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]