FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird return audio problem Wendt X3 mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Weird return audio problem Wendt X3 mixer
on Sep 14, 2017 at 2:29:43 pm

Hey everybody. We have been using a Wendt X3 mixer with a Canon C100 camera. Twice now, the return feed from the camera has sounded horrible. The left channel is super loud and garbled, while the right channel is extremely low. The mix sounds great. At first we thought it might be a camera input mis-match, but after changing the settings around there was no change in the return audio sound. Then we thought it might be an issue with the camera audio output circuit, however, when we put the mics straight in to the camera, the headphone out sounded fine. So, we decided to hook the mixer back up as before and then the return audio was back to normal. This has happened twice now. So, I am beginning to think the mixer return circuit has some kind of intermittent issue. Any ideas on this? Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Weird return audio problem Wendt X3 mixer
on Sep 14, 2017 at 5:39:59 pm

Hello Bob and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Hmm. Yes, weird behavior.

Does Wendt support have anything to say about intermittent weirdness with that mixer?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 14, 2017 at 5:54:43 pm
Last Edited By Bob Mark on Sep 14, 2017 at 6:07:30 pm

Hello. Thanks for your reply, TY. I didn't know Wendt was still in business. I will try to send an email about this. I have been testing the mixer today for over three hours and everything has been normal. Unfortunately, I don't have the actual camera to do in-depth testing. The sound I heard was like an over-driven pre-amp, so maybe is WAS the input trim for line level?? But I thought we checked that. Ghost in the machine, yes, but which one?? More testing needed.

Bob

EDIT:
I forgot to add that the C100 trim effects both channels, so, I am not sure why the distortion was only on the left channel. Hmmm...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 14, 2017 at 7:09:43 pm

Bob,

OK, gotcha. I know Wendt only by reputation. I have mostly Sound Devices gear.

Tell you what. Continue the ghost hunt. If you find any, maybe try the forum at JWsoundgroup.net, that's Jeff Wexler's crib. Someone there will know a ton of stuff about Wendt.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 15, 2017 at 4:20:01 pm

Thanks for your reply, Ty. I had the pleasure of speaking to Bob Wendt today about the X3! He was great about giving me ideas for troubleshooting the problem. He said he had never heard of my issue as far as using Wendt mixers. So, now I am going to start a head to toe ring out of the set-up. Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]