FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt WAV file recovery

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daisuke Kinouchi
Corrupt WAV file recovery
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:22:50 am

Hi,
I have a WAV file recorded on Edirol R44, and the file seems to be corrupted. The file size is about 240MB but it does not show running time when I open the info. The data seems to be there but it only opens on VLC. Is there any software that I can repair/ recover the WAV file, preferably for Mac?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Corrupt WAV file recovery
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:33:03 am

Hello Daisuke and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Try Wave Agent and let us know what happens.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent.htm

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Daisuke Kinouchi
on Sep 29, 2010 at 3:51:02 am

Thank you for a quick response. I imported the file in Wave Agent, but it does not play back. Only Info that show up are Filename, Channels (4 poly), Starting TC, and Date, which seem correct. The Length shows 00:00:00 on Wave Agent, but when I play back on VLC the file is 7:20 long.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 29, 2010 at 12:51:49 pm

what's VLC?

Ty

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:12:46 pm

Hi Ty,

I'm surprised you don't know about VLC. Here I was thinking you knew everything! It's an open source media player that has a solid reputation as being able to read everything. It lacks export and transcoding functions, but is a great player. As the saying goes, "if VLC can't read it, you're f'd".

http://www.videolan.org/

I tought Ty something! yay!

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:21:57 pm

J-C,

Wanna help me find the squeek in my clothes dryer? :)

Ty

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Sep 29, 2010 at 2:01:08 pm

Chalk up one new miracle for VLC. With the info WaveAgent gives you, I think you're very lucky that VLC can somehow read the file. It seems the recorder didn't close the file properly. I don't think you're going to be able to repair the file while maintaining both audio and metadata.

I'd try rerecording the audio to another file, either through Audio Hijack or by physically routing an output from your computer to a recorder or another computer with some kind of recording software. You'll lose timestamp info this way, but you still have the corrupt file and you can read its info in WaveAgent should you need to reference back to it. Depending on what software you'll use the file in, there may be a way to reinsert the timecode info to the new file's metadata. Not ideal by any means, but I think you're in damage control territory already.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Daisuke Kinouchi
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:07:25 pm

Thanks. I'll try re-recording. The file was originally recorded in 4 channel mono, and I'll probably loose that but it sure will sound better than camera on board mic.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Oct 6, 2010 at 7:18:12 am

If VLC can play it, and Wave Agent can display the metadata, it must be repairable.

Wave is a very simple format. From what you describe, only a few bytes in the header are wrong (duration of the file)
have a look here:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/422/projects/WaveFormat/

Look at ChunkSize and Subchunk2size.

Also, if you have a BWF, there is also a BEXT entry besides the stuff noted here.

If you can use a HEX editor, you can fix it yourself.
Or, i can do it for you, on no cure-no pay base, but it will set you back a box of beer when done...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Daisuke Kinouchi
on Oct 7, 2010 at 5:24:57 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll see my IT person can do this.

Return to posts index

Pete Revell
on Oct 18, 2010 at 5:47:31 pm

This situation is very like mine - I have a file that will play through VLC, but nothing else seems to want to have anything to do with it. I have had a look in the wav file with a hex editor, and it just has 00 00 00 00 for the subchunk2size. I am keen to have a go, but how do I convert the hex to numbers (and indeed numbers to hex)? The Excel function Hex2Dec looks like it should do the trick, but it converts 01 00 (AudioFormat) to 256, and 02 00 (NumChannels) to 512, so that initial hope got quashed.

Please forgive me if this is a basic thing that everybody (except me) knows.

Rgds
Pete Revell

Return to posts index

Pete Revell
on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:50:54 am

I have subsequently discovered that Audacity handles this sort of problem. You import the corrupt file as RAW, and then you can work with the file just like any normal one. Maybe not as technically satisfying as doing a hex-editor tweak to the corrupt file, but it certainly works!

Rgds
Pete Revell

Return to posts index

Nathalia Schenekenberg
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:13:24 am

I got the same problem and it was solved with the VLC conversion

Open the file that seems to be corrupt in VLC

Click "Media > Convert/Save" to enter the "Open Media" window.

Click the "Add..."

Browse your computer for your input audio or video file and click "Open" to add it to VLC's "File Selection" box.

Press the "Convert/Save" button at the bottom of the window.

Click the "Browse" button, to the right of the "Destination" field in the next window. Choose a folder or location on your hard drive where you want your WAV file saved.

IMPORTANT! Name your file in the "File Name" box. Include the ".wav" file extension at the end of your filename or VLC will not save it correctly.

Click the "Save As Type" drop-down box at the bottom of the window and select the "Containers..." option. Press "Save" to re-enter the "Convert" screen.

Click the "Edit Selected Profile" button and press the "Encapsulation" tab in the pop-up window. Select "WAV" and on the audio encoder i selected "WAV" again

Click "Save" to return to the "Convert" window. Press the "Start" button to begin the conversion.

It worked very well for me!

I would like to share the link where i found this information:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6945688_convert-vlc-wav.html

Return to posts index

Adrian Tan
on May 5, 2013 at 8:34:48 am

Just want to say that this post was a life-saver. My audio recorder got dropped to the floor, and the batteries came out, cutting out the recording after a wedding ceremony. Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Justice Equality
on Sep 8, 2012 at 10:53:14 am

Hi all, I'm in a jam, I have a corrupt wav file and it is extremely important to me to get it to work. If anybody has the time and is willing to do it, please contact me, not sure if It's ok to put my email address here but if it is not please edit my post. Rabriar@gmail.com . The duration is approximately 3 hours and 15 minutes, recorded with a sansa fuze. I have shorter wav files which work, just that one got corrupted, of course, the one I need. Please if anybody can fix this for me contac. Me ASAP.
Thank you....I'm sure I can buy you more than just a pack of beers :-)

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:59:15 am

I am in the same boat here with a file that NEED to save. It was recorded with an zoom H4N but the battery died in the middle and now the file is "invalid". It's 16-bit .wav. I have tried the VLC, audacity, and adobe audition solutions.

Below is a download link for the the hex code and VLC error reports. Could someone please take a quick look and let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

dropbox download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/605116/corrupt%20wav%20support%20doc.zi...

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Darren Black
on Jun 14, 2013 at 11:42:48 am

Have you found a solution to this problem yet? I am currently sitting with the exact same issue and it needs to go in for final mixing today... Please can anybody help??

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:04:49 pm

My file was unrecoverable. I contacted this company (http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/download) and they determined that it couldn't be fixed. If any part of your file can be played you can use screenflow to record the audio from your computer then export as AIFF; of course you lose that RAW wave format but as a last resort at least you end up with audio that can be used.

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

John Monroe
on Jul 29, 2014 at 2:13:51 am

did you find someone who was able to help you?

Return to posts index

John Monroe
on Jul 29, 2014 at 2:11:32 am

could you fix a corrupt audio file for me?
i wouldnt mknd being a box of beer back if you could fix this file

Return to posts index

Pete Revell
on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:59:27 am

I had a corrupted WAV, and used Audacity to sort it out. I think I used a Raw Import, which ignores the header, and imports the real data. As my corrupted wav had a corrupted header, this approach was a winner for me. And this saved me from making an error with the hex editing!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 29, 2014 at 4:37:09 pm

Hi Pete,

Great post! Thanks for stopping by!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

John Monroe
on Aug 9, 2014 at 12:28:57 pm

great solution however my corrupted files are in m4a format and i have no way to convert them to WAV or another audacity compatible format

Return to posts index

Josh Smeal
on Apr 11, 2015 at 11:53:12 am

Hi,

I wasn't sure if anyone had suggested anything for your issue with the m4a format, if you happen to have , perhaps give it a go with your file. I have never tried to convert m4a to anything else, personally, but I'd be interested to know if this works for you. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Joe Bressler
on Sep 14, 2015 at 2:22:38 am

Hey All

I'm in a similar situation- corrupt file because of battery depletion during recording. In fact, I had pressed the stop button and the moment I did, the zoom powered off.

What I have now is a 372MB file that opens in VLC with a duration of 35:08, however it only has audio for about 25 minutes of this. I also can't export the full length of the file from VLC because at 25 minutes it says File reading failed/VLC could not read the file (m). When importing as raw data to audacity once again all I get is the first 25 minutes, except this time it is at 200% speed.

Anyone have any ideas as to if I can recover the last ten minutes?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:58:23 am

Hello Joe,

you know you can change the sample rate on audacity to make it play at the proper speed, right?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Joe Bressler
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:28:27 pm

Hey Ty

Yep, got it. Any thoughts on being able to recover the last ten minutes of this audio file if it's not already coming up in audacity when I import the raw data?

The duration in VLC being correct gives me some hope as well as the fact that it isn't a 0kb file

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:37:29 pm

The duration of VLC might be meaningless.
What are you feeding VLC?

To know if you can recover it, you need to calculate the duration based on file size...

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Joe Bressler
on Sep 14, 2015 at 1:05:00 pm

Hey Bouke,

I am feeding VLC the wav file straight from the SD card. The file size is 372mb vs a 35:08 duration. When I export the file from audacity or VLC it's about 100mb less, a loss of which seems proportionate to the amount of data that should account for the missing audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]