FORUMS: list search recent posts

Way to edit internal mic tracks to sound like AKG mike tracks?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiggy Gaton
Way to edit internal mic tracks to sound like AKG mike tracks?
on Sep 12, 2010 at 6:48:57 am

Hi all, I am working on a set of tuts for the cow here, and while I can go into our studio and have my bro record me reading using protools and an AKG mike, that's a lot of work for 1cent per hit. Seriously, I want to record these tuts in realtime at home with my iMac. But the results are so much worse then when using the AKG. So I am wondering, short of buying a USB mike (which I know someday I should), is there a filter to fix up the internal mic dialogues that I can use say with Soundtrack Pro?

Here is a sample of the bad:
http://library.creativecow.net/gaton_jiggy/adobe-kuler/1

I've attached a sample from the AKG (http://f1.creativecow.net/1081/sample-of-good-voice), so you can hear the difference and perhaps recommend the right filters. My ears are not so good, that's why I let my brother do all the audio, and his eyes are crap, so I do all the video. But I think if I knew how to fix in Soundtrack Pro, I would not have to bother him with these tuts.

Thanks!!!
Jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Way to edit internal mic tracks to sound like AKG mike tracks?
on Sep 12, 2010 at 1:09:14 pm

Hello Jiggy and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Cool app you have there!

Thanks for providing a sample so we can hear you.

Two things. First, projection, a performance thing. You're talking AT us, not TO us, as if we are in a classroom and you have to raise your voice. You don't need to do that. Because of all that energy, you're exciting resonances in the room you're recording in and we hear it as a roomy sound.

If you use a less projective voice, with less energy and get a bit closer to the mic, you may not even need a new mic. Also, try recording in a room with softer surfaces or hang blankets or other absorptive cloth in front of hard reflective surfaces. Put rugs on the floor.

If you're still ringing the room, my advice is a Countryman E6 mic. It's the first mic I use in my mic tutorial. Here: http://gallery.me.com/tyreeford#100038

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Sep 12, 2010 at 2:38:10 pm

Thx so much for the links and great advice. It's no wonder I sound like a school teacher - I am! And mostly to adults in very large audiences and rooms, often without a mic. Anyway, I was thinking of ordering this one: C03U - Multi-Pattern USB Studio Condenser Microphone, and I actually ordered a blue ball usb once from ebay, but it got lost in the mail or something and never got it. So I have an empty shock mount blue ball shock mount instead. I'm also trying to get my jabra bt3030 bluetooth to work, but I don't think recording is supported, as it dunna want to work at all. Anyway, I will try your advice on the next tut that I do. It would be nice to not have to spend any more money on gear, considering that I do have an entire protools setup at my disposal, only I am too lazy to walk over there to record. Cheers,
Jigs

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 12, 2010 at 2:46:33 pm

Jiggy,

OK. I get it. No, you don't need to hit the back row with your voice. :)

The trick is to be able to get the mic as close as possible to your mouth; like 3-4 inches, and off to either side so you don't speak into it, but across it. That way you're less prone to popping.

BLUE is OK, not my favorite, but for your application, a good headset mic is really better.

Here's the E6 on sung vocals. http://gallery.me.com/tyreeford#100183

I have a Pro Tools Rig too, but it's not the best solution to everything. I do most of my audio for video work in FCP.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Sep 12, 2010 at 2:54:13 pm

Yes I getcha about getting close to the mic...but on an imac I am not even sure where it is, and the one in the mbp is just awful compared to the imac. So I'm trying to get close the imac screen (it's gotta be there somewhere) and then because of my eyes, I can't see the screen very well. This is not an ideal situation:) Anyway, I'll get a mic soon, but there are none here in Nepal to speak of.

On another topic, cause u seem like a brilliant audio guy: I have a spare Canon XL1s camera mike, and I want to make a boom mike outta this, as I really like the mike and it's just sitting in a drawer. But the connector on the end is the canon two prong thingee, and I need to convert that plug to fit with a standard XLR plug. Any ideas on how to do that? Thx again!!!
jigs

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 12, 2010 at 3:51:46 pm

Jiggy,

I don't know of an extension cord for that plug.

Even if there was one, you're putting your audio in jeopardy by running an extension cord for an unbalanced mic. You may be OK in Nepal unless the monks are cooking up some unusual circuitry, but most places, running unbalanced is against "best practices."

Even the Rode VideoMic, which can be purchased with an extension, and may be boom mounted, may pickup some unwanted noise.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363083-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_VideoMic_Cam...

Good accessories as well.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Sep 12, 2010 at 5:17:45 pm

Thx again. solved that one. stays in the drawer then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]