FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingesting HD in a broadcast facility

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonis Tsoukatos
Ingesting HD in a broadcast facility
on Jul 7, 2010 at 11:22:01 am

Hello all

I am a freelancing dialogue editor and sound designer engineer/ designer but to make ends meet I work as in a broadcast facility doing both audio and video work. Currently the work place is thinking of upgrading a lot of kit to accommodate HD content (we've been SD only so far). Amongst, all the facilities within the company, there is a Mac Pro equipped with a Kona Card and FCP to ingest all the short forms clips before the go to the Transmission servers.

Because of my audio experience, I was asked for my opinion of how this would be approached. And here comes my question to all you guys:

A managing engineer thinks that with the introduction of HD, this "short form ingest room" in particular room needs Pro Tools installed. Don't know exact reasons yet (I am about to find later on), but I am almost certain that to ingest HD video, with Dolby Encoded audio, you could do with a dedicated Kona card, your HD deck, Final Cut Pro, the surround monitoring (of course) and a Dolby encoder and decoder as well.

The process would be to digitize all promos, QC audio and video and send them to the Tx servers with the audio either Dolby encoded or as six separate audio tracks. Would there really be a need for a full blown HD rig? What would be the "smartest" way of ingesting HD/ Dolby encoded content, monitor it, and then send it to the Tx servers?

Thanks all

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Antonis Tsoukatos
Pro Tools Rig for HD Video Ingest
on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:59:50 pm

The subject that I put down perhaps does not fit with the Audio Pros Forum. I am changing it a bit here in case it helps.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Pro Tools Rig for HD Video Ingest
on Jul 8, 2010 at 2:21:51 am

Hello Antonis and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What sample rate and bit depth for the audio? I don't know why you can't ingest the audio in to FCP.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 8, 2010 at 2:41:11 am

Interesting response. Does anyone actually use FCP to do any real audio work? We have always used Protools for all audio, updating those tracks later in FCP from mastered Protools output. I am not an audio engineer, but that approach does seem to produce better quality audio for all video productions - what does everyone else do?

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 8, 2010 at 3:13:57 am

Hi Jiggy,

I'm a PTLE user for over 10 years. I doubt you'll hear about a lot of audio post work being done in FCP, but I have worked hard to wrap my head around the app.

Last year I did all audio but the theme song for the Hot Flash trailer within FCP. It has won several awards. http://www.hotflashmovie.com/

For the 40 minute doc I worked on last year, "Finding Home", I did record the VO in PTLE, the rest was done in FCP and STP. It won a Special Jury Award in the Turkish International Doc. Festival last year.
http://gallery.me.com/tyreeford#100113/Finding%20Home%2010&bgcolor=black

The audio section in FCP and Soundtrack Pro have potential, but they seem like an audio apps created by IT nerds rather than audio geeks. The typical pro audio conventions are not observed, making it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to transfer operating skills. I have reached out to Apple on many occasions, suggesting that tweeks to the GUI could make the program a lot more user friendly. This has been going on for about three years. So far no requests for help from Apple. Some folks at Apple have been a bit snippy when I mention that the GUI lacks professional conventions. My offer still stands.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]