ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

3 Hard drives. What goes where?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
3 Hard drives. What goes where?
on Jul 17, 2017 at 9:38:06 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Jul 17, 2017 at 9:41:05 pm

Asked this before with no response so I'm asking again in more simpler terms.

I have 3 hard drives, none are SSD's. They are:
C: 1 TB containing software (PPro, AE, browsers, email, etc.)
F: 2 TB containing PPro project files and out of camera media (a/k/a video files) as well as PPro's media cache and database
H: 500 GB containing "finished product". I render/encode straight to this hard drive

Simple question. Is this the proper setup? If not, what goes where? Main concern is F drive which contains media, media cache and project files. Should those be on separate hard drive or am I good to go. Getting decent encode speed but currently doing a 10 minute 4k downrezzed to 1080p and it's going to take 1 hour 40 minutes. Sound right? There's a lot of grading and plugins. It's basically a test of the system.

btw I've googled this and every single link back says to separate program, media and Project files but never says which hard drive to render/encode to.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: 3 Hard drives. What goes where?
on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:04:59 pm

You shouldn't have your project and media on your system drive. Other than that, there is no right or wrong. More of what works for you. Typically, you would have a fast RAID array (RAID-6) for project/media. Makes for an easy backup solution
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 18, 2017 at 1:36:06 am

You shouldn't have your project and media on your system drive. Other than that, there is no right or wrong. More of what works for you. Typically, you would have a fast RAID array (RAID-6) for project/media. Makes for an easy backup solution

Thanks, Todd. So should I just save my project files to the H drive, which I only use to encode to? And keep my media on F? As far as a RAID goes I've read it doesn't really speed things up, and my stuff is eminently loseable, just stuff I shoot and play with. I really don't need to back those files up. I usually keep them on my SD card until I'm done with the project. So bottom line just move my project files to H and I'm good to go?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 18, 2017 at 1:44:27 am

Oh, and my system drive would be the C drive, wouldn't it? The one with my OS and software. As I said I don't have my media cache, project files or media on that drive, they're on my F drive.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 18, 2017 at 2:20:40 pm

You could move your projects to your encode drive. Your system will be reading more than it writes when encoding. Run a disk benchark, and put your media on the fastest drive. https://www.atto.com/disk-benchmark/

What I do, is I have one drive that has my self-contained projects which includes my graphics, video, audio - everything for that project. Easy to backup. I back it all up, because there is no way I can lose something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]