ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Computer Advice for Editing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Blank
Computer Advice for Editing
on Jun 10, 2017 at 8:36:00 pm

Hey Guys,
I am very new to editing with Adobe Premier, I have only used it to edit film in school. However, I am thinking of purchasing the software at home as well. I have a drone (the Phantom 3 Advanced) and it films 2.7K video. I really need advice as to what kind of computer I should purchase that can handle this kind of video and be able to run Adobe Premier smoothly? I don't need fast export time, just a computer that can handle the software and video without skipping while I am attempting to edit. My price range is not the best... I was really hoping to keep the price under $1,000 however, I am open to all opinions. Also, I don't care weather it is Mac or Windows - laptop or desktop.

Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Computer Advice for Editing
on Jun 10, 2017 at 10:04:30 pm

Any Quad Core I7 Skylake or Kaby Lake at 4 GHZ with 16 GB of RAM and a GTX 1060 will work just fine. Having said that a GTX 1080 Ti would be even better. You can easily build a decent video editing system for $1,000.00. It might be wise to get an SSD for the OS and HD for the media content. A GTX 1060 will not require an expensive power supply but if you have $1000.00 a GTX 1070 would be money well spent.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 11, 2017 at 1:02:10 am

Andy, thank you for the input it is very helpful. However, I wasn't really looking to build a computer. I have never built a computer before and I don't fully understand all the specs and what everything means (ram, etc).

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 10, 2017 at 11:30:29 pm

Any modern machine in or above the Intel i5 range, 16+ GB Ram and a Mercury compatible video card should work just fine for that and if you make sure you got a fast, big enough dedicated hard drive for your footage you should also have some headroom.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 10, 2017 at 11:50:14 pm

Hey Michael, thanks for the advice. I recently searched online and I found a computer called the 'Dell Inspiron 15' and I was curious if this computer would work for what I am needing. Here is a quick link to the computer and what it is: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/Dell-Inspiron-15-i5559-Signature-Ed...

Could you please take a look at it, it would be very helpful.

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 11, 2017 at 12:52:54 am

Nope. Several reasons but the instant kicker is the 8GB of shared memory. Those don´t meet Premiere minimum requirements which is 8GB of dedicated RAM.

If it has to be a laptop, I'd go to the limit of your budget and look for a gaming notebook since those tend to match the requirements of an editing rig quite closely nowadays.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 11, 2017 at 12:59:54 am

Okay, so could you suggest any specific computer? I honestly have never built a computer and a lot of the specs and stuff I am still trying to learn what they all are (Ram, hardrives, intel, shared mem). I am a good editor and can use a computer very well. Additionally, I don't mind if the computer is a desktop or not.

Thanks for the advice

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 11, 2017 at 6:25:42 am

You can go to Dell or HP and configure an i7 desktop with 16 GB of RAM and a GTX 1060 but here is a system from newegg.com that should work just fine. It only has the 3GB GTX 1060 but it should still work just fine. You might want to watch the video. I don't doubt there are custom computer shops in you area.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101534

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 11, 2017 at 2:39:13 am

Desktop ryzen 1700 8 core 16.gb ram. GTX 1050ti. Wd black edition all for $800-900. Don't forget a $99 ips monitor.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 11, 2017 at 11:11:15 am

Your video codec requires 60mbps hard drive
And a very fast cpu if you don't want to transccode
With proxies.

Here is a rundown what premiere needs.
https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/351/1918

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 11, 2017 at 4:21:39 am

Michael,
Someone posted about this desktop but, would this desktop computer work well: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CybertronPC-Gaming-Desktop-PC-Rhodium-AMD-Ryzen-...

Thank you,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 11, 2017 at 12:26:25 pm

Tyler, I wouldn´t go for an AMD CPU but that is probably a personal preference. Also, the graphics card is on the very low end and there's only 1 hard drive.

If I had to choose a stock 1000 dollar computer for editing, this one would check a lot of my boxes:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102274&ignorebbr=...

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 11, 2017 at 1:41:43 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jun 11, 2017 at 2:21:05 pm

michael, i need to point out that the 7600k is a 4 thread not 8 thread like the 7700k that couldn't handle 2.7k video. plus the video card only has 3GB RAM.

also, the price leaves no room for a monitor. I don't know what type of SSD it has as some SSD's are actually slower than Western Digital Black edition(108 mb/sec) 5 streams of h.264. Now if you were using cineform/prores 4k you would need a 850 evo as they are higher mb/sec codecs.

if you check my puget links, you'll see you need at least a 8 thread to handle stuff higher than HD in your timeline since you need to decompress h.264 which is very cpu intensive.

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 11, 2017 at 3:06:13 pm

Chris, in this budget range, there's always a compromise. An i5 is certainly not the best choice overall but is fast enough to handle h264 drone footage in 2.7k and the same goes for the 3gb graphics card. So I´d compromise a little computing power (debatable since Adobe software tends to be optimised for Intel cpu´s) for a second hard drive.
But that's my personal preference and not something I intend to argue about.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 11, 2017 at 3:59:25 pm

So are you guys basically saying that if I go to a computer shop in my area and tell them what I want to do etc, they can help me affordably built a computer to suit the needs of Adobe Premiere and the video I need it to handle? And is building a computer my best option?

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 11, 2017 at 4:35:36 pm

Probably but then you´d have to pay for custom assembly and higher component cost.
That's a tough choice on this budget.

Have you thought about buying used/refurbished?
Something like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z420-Workstation-Xeon-Quad-Core-3-6GHz-32GB-RAM-...
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-Xeon-16-Core-2-6GHz-32GB-RAM-S...

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 12, 2017 at 3:31:14 pm

Ok, so I just went up to my local computer repair and build shop and talked to the guy. There I found what I think is a decent computer. Here are the specs for it:
Intel I7
Quad Core
Solid State
8GB RAM
1050 TI 2G Video Card
64-bit Operating System
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz

What are your guys thoughts on this desktop?

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 12, 2017 at 6:19:40 pm

Ok, so I just went up to my local computer repair and build shop and talked to the guy. There I found what I think is a decent computer. Here are the specs for it:
Intel I7
Quad Core
Solid State
8GB RAM
1050 TI 2G Video Card
64-bit Operating System

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 12, 2017 at 6:47:08 pm

How much would it be for a Sky Lake or Kaby Lake i7 at 4.0 GHZ with 16 GB of RAM and a GTX 1060? Can you get a 250 GB SSD for the OS and a 2 TB drive for the media content? A Micro ATX motherboard should work out OK. I like to have hot swap drive bays. You can get the SSD for the OS and ad a HD later. Do you have a spare HD?

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 13, 2017 at 12:41:26 am

Michael? What is your advice on the computer I posted about earlier today?

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 13, 2017 at 1:15:10 am

Tyler, 8GB RAM is the bare minimum and I would go for 16GB or more. Also if there's only 1 hard drive for footage and operating system it shouldn´t be an SSD.
Did you take a look at the HP z420 workstation under the first ebay link?
I believe that something like this is the best bang for the buck in your situation and it's still well under $1000,- even if you include a 1-year protection plan.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 13, 2017 at 1:24:11 am

Isn't the first eBay link computer an SSD Hard Drive? Also with the computer I stayed later, I can add 8 more GB RAMM to make is 16Gb RAMM. And I also have a Terabyte harddrive to add to it as well. Whag are your thought with those two additions?

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 13, 2017 at 1:43:24 am

Well, then those 2 would be pretty similar. Not sure how much the 2GB graphics card matters for mercury playback of 2.7k footage though. If you upgrade that to the 4GB version and make sure the 64bit OS is Windows 10 and not some older version, those computers would be almost the same with your CPU having a tiny performance edge towards the HP workstation.

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 13, 2017 at 1:49:20 am

The HP has 1 SSD for OS and programs and a 1TB hard drive for footage and data. Also still a lot more RAM with 32GB but it's debatable whether you need that much just for editing. I believe 16 should be fine.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:18:08 am

The HP systems on ebay will work. The weak link is the GTX 1050 Ti graphics card. I think a GTX 1060 should be the minimum but a GTX 1070 would be money well spent. I don't doubt they have some for under $1,000.00 on ebay with a GTX 1060. If not the graphics card can be upgraded later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z420-Workstation-Xeon-Quad-Core-3-6GHz-32GB-RAM-...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-Xeon-16-Core-2-6GHz-32GB-RAM-S...

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:57:02 am

Thoughts? Questions?

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 15, 2017 at 1:34:04 am

Michael,
I think I am going to take the computer stated earlier. Here are the final specs I have concluded with. I have not purchased anything but I have done research and such. Let me know what you think again before I buy it and do my final searches?

Intel I7
Quad Core
Solid State Drive (for running the OS & Programs)
1 Terabyte Harddrive (for storing video content etc.)
16GB RAM (might add more later on)
1050 TI 2G Video Card
64-bit Operating System

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 16, 2017 at 3:09:53 am

Not the best specs but it should work OK.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 16, 2017 at 2:13:02 am

Thoughts? Questions?

Return to posts index

Michael Krueger
on Jun 16, 2017 at 4:07:45 pm

Looks like a decent start. The only thing that could hold you back a little is the graphics card but that goes for pretty much every option so far and isn´t an easy change with your budget constraints.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 19, 2017 at 3:41:35 am

Well, to give you all and update, I am back to square one in search of a good computer for editing... The guy at my local computer store sold the computer I was looking to purchase. Now I am restarting my search. As per the eBay links posted early, is eBay a trusted website to purchase computers on? Has anyone purchased from there before?
Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 19, 2017 at 7:56:12 pm

Also, has anyone thought about Macs? Apple is all we use in school to edit Adobe Premiere with and it seems to work just fine. I heard they where very stable to use?

Thoughts, on this or my previous post?

Tyler

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 19, 2017 at 8:12:38 pm

[Tyler Blank] "Apple is all we use in school to edit Adobe Premiere with and it seems to work just fine. I heard they where very stable to use?"

You heard wrong. Apple computers can break down and probably do more so than PCs. You cannot service a Mac yourself.

The local computer shop should be able to build 10 computers each week with the same specs you gave us. Go to a different computer store and tell them what you want. It should be a simple process.

You want an i7, 16 GB of RAM and a GTX 1060. Having said that a GTX 1050 will work if money is tight. A 256 GB SSD for the OS and a 2 TB HD for media would be wise if you can afford it. I say get hot swap drive system if you can.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 19, 2017 at 9:32:38 pm

I totally agree with you. I just want a custom built desktop with these specs for under $900:
Intel i7
Quad Core
250gb SSD (runs OS & Programs)
1Tb Hard Drive (stores video content & documents) (I AM PROVIDING!!!)
16Gb Ram (add more later)
1050 TI 2G Graphics Card
64-bit OP
CPU @ 3.5 GHZ

The computer stores seem to want over $1000 for those specs I stated above.... Even when I am giving them a 1Tb hard drive for free to install in it... I can't seem to find a good store in my area. I have gone to several and none seem to help very well...

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 19, 2017 at 9:49:04 pm

Also Andy,
Would you say eBay is a trusted place to buy a PC from?
What are your thoughts?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 19, 2017 at 11:56:58 pm

[Tyler Blank] "Also Andy,
Would you say eBay is a trusted place to buy a PC from?
What are your thoughts?"

Ebay should work out OK but the system I posted at newegg is not bad either. You can add an SSD later. Go with a real cheap HD for you OS is you are that tight for money. Or just get 8GB of RAM for now. RAM you can upgrade yourself later. Just try and think of a way to make it work for less than $1,000.00. As I stated the cheap Micro ATX cases and motherboards should work. With a GTX 1050 any $30.00 power supply should work. Go to a couple of custom computer shops and layout a few options for them.

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 20, 2017 at 1:16:51 am

Andy, I will definitely look at the one you stated. However for now what do you think about this desktop: http://m.ebay.com/itm/172592333578?_mwBanner=1
It seems to fit what I need very well for a very reasonable price. What are your thoughts?
Also, is eBay a TRUSTED webpage to buy from? My money is not going to be stolen and I receive a pile of garbage or something like that?
Thanks,
Tyler

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 20, 2017 at 4:57:39 am
Last Edited By andy patterson on Jun 20, 2017 at 6:06:27 pm

It should work OK. Ebay should be safe but there re no guarantees. If you are getting a refurbished computer newegg might be safer than ebay. The prices are not bad either. The brand new system seems like a good system.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA65E5F14888

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883795917

Return to posts index

Tyler Blank
on Jun 23, 2017 at 1:56:13 am

Well guys, to give everyone a good update, I just baught an Apple MacBook Pro the latest one. I have downloaded the Adobe softwares I want to use and have created a small video of my drone flying around! Thanks for the advice anyway guys I really did help! Here's a link to my YouTube if you all want to see: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6Lf10cMKblITo9F_G7vJw

Thanks, tyler

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 23, 2017 at 3:55:58 am

How much was it and what are the specs?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]