ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Field dominance bug confirmation

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Okey
Field dominance bug confirmation
on Apr 17, 2017 at 10:20:58 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone else can confirm what appears to be a bug in Premiere Pro CC 2017 (Mac):

Sequence settings: 1080i60 ProRes 422
Footage: 1080i60 ProRes 422 (footage contains 3:2 pulldown)

When clip speed is reversed on a clip containing 3:2 pulldown (clip is played backwards), field dominance is not properly maintained, and playback of the clip exhibits the expected motion artifacts associated with reversed field dominance. Manually reversing field dominance by right clicking on the clip, choosing Field Options, then choosing Reverse Field Dominance does not solve the issue. This occurs even after the clip is rendered in the sequence.

My workaround has been to export the reversed clip as a self-contained file, re-import it, cut it into the sequence, then reverse the field order by right-clicking on the clip as described above. That solves the issue, but it's a tedious fix.

This behavior only occurs on reversed clips containing 3:2 pulldown. True 60i clips (no pulldown, every frame interlaced) correctly maintain proper field dominance when reversed.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior? I consider this to be a bug.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Field dominance bug confirmation
on Apr 17, 2017 at 11:16:17 pm

I consider it to be the price one pays for not removing 3:2 pulldown.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 17, 2017 at 11:55:34 pm
Last Edited By Alan Okey on Apr 18, 2017 at 12:14:08 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I consider it to be the price one pays for not removing 3:2 pulldown."

UPDATE:

My apologies, the bug is not present on clips containing 3:2 pulldown. The bug appears when reversing a native 24p (23.98) clip in a 1080i60 sequence.

Ordinarily, Premiere Pro correctly adds 3:2 pulldown to 24p clips added to a 1080i60 sequence. However, reversing a 24p clip in a 1080i60 sequence results in reverse field dominance on the interlaced frames of the 3:2 pulldown being applied to the clip.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 18, 2017 at 4:59:54 pm

As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say, "Well, that's different!"

I think you might have to use a workaround -- reverse the motion in a different application & re-import. Personally, I'd do it in After Effects. It's dead simple. A pain, but dead simple.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Apr 18, 2017 at 5:04:17 pm
Last Edited By Alan Okey on Apr 18, 2017 at 5:05:36 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I think you might have to use a workaround -- reverse the motion in a different application & re-import."

Thats basically what I've been doing, minus AE. I just export the reversed clip from Premiere as a self-contained file, re-import, edit back into the sequence, then right-click on the clip and reverse the field dominance. It's tedious, but it works.

I filed a bug report on this yesterday. Perhaps we'll see a fix in a coming point release...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]