ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Export EDL with no black events

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Carlin
Export EDL with no black events
on Feb 16, 2017 at 3:00:12 am

Is it possible to export an EDL without the black (BL) events?

- Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export EDL with no black events
on Feb 16, 2017 at 4:02:54 pm

Make sure there's video throughout the timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Carlin
on Feb 16, 2017 at 6:23:30 pm

Yes, of course that would work and that is a legitimate answer to my question. However, I was looking for a way to have the gaps remain as gaps in the EDL. For some reason Adobe took the time to have the "Include Key Track" option (which is mostly useless unless you are using a CMX or GVG linear system) but has to "Include black events" option checkbox.

[Dave LaRonde] "Make sure there's video throughout the timeline."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2017 at 7:38:42 pm

Well, a still image is can be construed as video.

You can make one easily -- perhaps in day-glow orange -- to the horizontal & vertical dimensions of the timeline. Takes up almost zero storage space, it would be easy to spot as you scrub through and it's SOMETHING. I'd just put it in place of the missing clips in the timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 16, 2017 at 11:15:12 pm

Problem here is that an EDL was, and is, essentially a bare bones way of getting edit information into the "dumb" linear tape-based edit controllers of yesteryear. When editing tape machine to tape machine what the heck is a gap? Blank tape on the record machine? Of course not. You need to have black. Of course you can do way more in an NLE, but that's why XMLs and AAFs were invented. EDLs never evolved with the times.

Probably a way to edit out the references to Black in Excel. Worth a try. It's basically a tab delimited spreadsheet.

Return to posts index

Paul Carlin
on Feb 19, 2017 at 8:38:40 pm

I can assure you that the EDL is not a thing of the past. While you may not be using them, they are very useful to this day in conveying information from editorial to finishing (including, most recently, color decision information). They are simple text files that can be easily read and modified by humans to get the job done.

I was simply asking if there was some hack that would allow Premiere Pro to not include black events in the EDLs (dare I say, like an Avid would).

- Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]