ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

24p video shot on Panasonic TM300 not importing properly (AVCHD files)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Smith
24p video shot on Panasonic TM300 not importing properly (AVCHD files)
on Feb 14, 2017 at 3:24:23 am

Hello all.

I have just been presented with an older Panasonic HDC-TM300. There is footage shot on it that needs to be incorporated into a show shot at 24p on more professional cameras.

The default setting on the TM300 is 29.97 fps (60i/interlaced)

I was told that the video was shot using something called Digital Cinema Mode which according to the manual for the camera (which I found online) says is 24p. The video files are AVCHD. However when I bring the files into either Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro in the standard way they show as being 29.97 and interlaced (upper 60i).

Thinking that maybe the scenes were shot with the incorrect setting I did a test shoot with the camera. I followed the manual for the Digital Cinema 24p setup but it still imports as 29.97 and interlaced. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: 24p video shot on Panasonic TM300 not importing properly (AVCHD files)
on Feb 14, 2017 at 4:13:17 am

1. if you shot 29.97p in 60i then its prolly psf(progressive segmented fields)
import into a progressive 29.97p sequence. each field is time temporally same.
http://www.provideocoalition.com/psf8217s_missing_workflow_part_7_adobe_pre...

2. if you shot 24p in a 60i wrapper, then its prolly reverse telecine 3:2 pulldown.
drop it into a 24p progressive sequence and premiere should detelecine it automatically.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2017 at 4:26:31 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 14, 2017 at 4:30:21 pm

Consumer cameras. Ugh. I've had to deal with that stinkin' "digital cinema" crap in SD cameras.

Digital Cinema is NOT 23.976 with 3:2 pulldown to make 29.97 video. They do something else, and they don't tell you the process. I've tried using After Effects to remove the pulldown -- all 6 variations of pulldown cadences, including Advanced Pulldown Removal -- And NOTHING worked. I got garbage.

Consumers don't really use 23.976. They're shooting the kids' dance recitals & birthday parties, and MAYBE they want to get artsy-fartsy so they use Digital Cinema. "Cool!", they think. It's still 29.97.

You MIGHT be able to get by putting this stuff in a 23.976 timeline and exporting at 23.976. See what happens. But don't count on sterling image quality. This camera sucks for 23.976, because IT DOESN'T DO IT!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 14, 2017 at 8:30:41 pm

if its not 2:3:2:3 telecine reverse pulldown
or 2:3:3:2 advanced pulldown,
it could be that crazy 2:2:2:4 stuff which only cinema tools compressor could understand. we'll need sample footage to see.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]