ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Unnesting a Sequence

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Can Adil
Unnesting a Sequence
on Feb 13, 2017 at 7:17:13 pm

Hi,
I have sequence formed of different clips in 2 video layers. It's an interview recording, with the second layer being the subtitles mov file. (a transparent alpha mov file with only the subtitles)
It's something like this:

V2: ---------------- subtitle.mov clip -------------------------
V1: --clip1---- ----clip2 ------ ------ clip3 ------ ---clip4----

Then, I have my master sequence, in which I have directly cut and used the previous sequence as if it's a single clip. As a result, in my master sequence, I do not have original clips individually seen as in the sub-sequence. What I have taken from the above sub-sequence is cut and edited.

I am now putting B-roll recordings above the interview sequence (which is at V1 of the master sequence).
However, as I put the B-roll files, my subtitle.mov layer also remains invisible in the background. As I cannot understand the speech (in a different language), I have difficulty in aligning the B-roll and speech.

If only I could unnest the edited sequence, and had 2 layers of original clips inside the master sequence (but with the same rearranged and edited order), I would simply move the subtitle parts to V3, and B-roll to V2, and sort the problem.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

In short, is it possible to unnest a sequence inside a master sequence, to have separate original clips in the master sequence - with all the cuts of the sequence remaining?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
Re: Unnesting a Sequence
on Feb 13, 2017 at 7:22:06 pm

The obvious answer is to go to the nested sequence and copy the tracks you want and paste them into the new sequence.
Right, or am I missing something?
When you past layers, highlight the target layer number that you want your lowest paster layer to target and the others will layer up on top. Now go to the other nested project, and copy and past those layers where you want them.

Return to posts index

Can Adil
on Feb 13, 2017 at 7:32:14 pm

Hi Dan,

The nested sequence is the complete interview recording with multiple clips, which I had it translated and subtitled.
I did not use the whole nested sequence in the master sequence. It is cut and also reorganized.

To give an example, let's say that the total duration of the nested sequence is 10 minutes.
In the master sequence, I have used parts of the nested sequence in such an order:

[00:10 to 00:35]-[02:15 to 02:48]-[01:15 to 01:34]-[08:21 to 09:12]

So if I copy and paste the nested sequence clips, then I loose these edits, and simply paste in full clips.

Return to posts index

Matt Dunne
on Feb 13, 2017 at 8:12:39 pm

I don't think there's a way to "un-nest" a sequence but here's a workaround I think might work. Markers will translate through the nest so in your master timeline place a marker on the clip (not the sequence) and when you open up your nested sequence in it's own timeline you will see the markers. Then you can cut, copy, and paste them back into your master sequence. Maybe do one marker for the start of your edit point and a second one at the end so you have an "in and out" type of workflow.

Hopefully that will help.

-editor of things

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Feb 14, 2017 at 4:24:46 pm

If you set in and out points in the nested sequence, it will only copy and paste what is in between those points. Perfect for copying and pasting select portions of a sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]