ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Title/text one word at a time

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karan Shah
Title/text one word at a time
on Feb 12, 2017 at 3:38:37 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to have text in Adobe Premiere Pro CC that shows up one word at time, but in line with the person speaking.

To elaborate what I mean, here's an example:

I can imagine something like this can be done by making a separate Title for each word and placing them one by one in the timeline, but this would be very arduous let alone the fact that my project folder would be spammed by 8 new titles every time I am looking to do this in my project.

Also if you notice in my example, after all words are placed, the text zooms out together as if it was actually just one title.

Anyone know how I can achieve this effect for my videos?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Title/text one word at a time
on Feb 12, 2017 at 5:25:49 pm

If you don't want to animate multiple text files then your best bet would be to use an app like Apple Motion, which has innumerable presets for animating text, or perhaps you can find an After Effects template that does the same.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Karan Shah
on Feb 12, 2017 at 10:22:13 pm

Apologies, seems like the YouTube video starts from the beginning. The section I am talking about is 1:25 into the video!

Also I'm on Windows so can't use Apple Motion ☹ Perhaps another way?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Feb 13, 2017 at 1:26:40 am

[Karan Shah] "The section I am talking about is 1:25 into the video!"

Lay out you text and key-frame with the crop tool. You may want to use separate layers for each line of text.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Feb 13, 2017 at 6:20:50 pm

You can use the Typewriter preset and change it to animate on by word instead of character, or just have a separate layer for each word and start the layer where necessary. Use the Decompose Text script to make it easier if you'd like.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 13, 2017 at 7:34:11 pm

Here's a typewriter text effect for premiere.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 13, 2017 at 7:52:45 pm

You can put the entire sentence in one title and mask it out, then reveal one word at a time. Since you didn't make THAT video, in your mind the words are appearing as the guy is saying them. They could easily be a little off and you wouldn't notice it. Try it like that. This way you don't have to make a title for each word.

Return to posts index

Karan Shah
on Feb 18, 2017 at 11:55:10 am

Thanks everyone for your input on this!

The correct term for what I was trying to achieve by the way is 'Kinetic Typography'. Wish I knew this word, would have saved me a lot of trouble when googling how to do this :P

I ended up using this tutorial:

As an example here's my newest video where I made use of this:

Hope this helps anyone else looking for this!

Return to posts index

Karan Shah
on Feb 18, 2017 at 11:56:28 am

I forgot timings aren't saved on YouTube videos on this forum, so for the second video (my example) it is at: 8m11s :)

Return to posts index

Peter Dowson
on May 2, 2017 at 2:11:25 am

You have gotten the result you needed using the crop effect in Premiere. However a more adaptive approach is to use the Typewriter Text Animation preset in After Effects, and dynamic link it back into Premiere. You can animate the text by word instead of by character in AE, if you select your text asset and goto Animator 1(etc)/Range Selector/Advanced/Based on: Words - change from Characters (see pic below)

Once imported to the Premiere Sequence, you can simply duplicate the text asset and retype new ones without going back into After Effects. I like this new feature a lot.

All the best ☺

Return to posts index

Karan Shah
on May 6, 2017 at 1:34:52 pm

Hey! Thanks for posting this! I saw a couple of tutorials online and it seems really good. Just wondering, can I decide WHEN I want the text to show next? So sort of like Kinetic Typography where the word appears as and when I speak?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]