ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Cannot render ANYTHING without PP crashing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Dean
Cannot render ANYTHING without PP crashing
on Feb 11, 2017 at 1:20:10 pm

Hi - I'm finishing a pilot for a TV series shot and now graded in 6K, ProRes 4444. I cut it using PP 2017 (on a 2016 iMac with 16GB of RAM). It occasionally crashed during the roughcut process, but I later found out that there've been lots of crashing issues with the newest version. Now I have a graded 6K timeline and I've been trying to render it for output. It won't do it without the message "A serious error has caused Premiere Pro to shut down." I started racking up recovery project after recovery project, but even highlighting a single two-second clip in the timeline and choosing "render selection" caused it to crash.

So the next time I opened it (with a new project name) I exported the timeline as an XML and opened it in PP 2015 10.4, thinking that it was the upgrade that was causing the problem. And it worked for awhile - I was able to render the first three minutes of the half hour (turning the red bar green), which I could not before. But now the same problem is happening - I cannot render any part of the timeline without the "serious error" shutting me down.

The one possible wild card is the "unspecified error" message I've been receiving every time I open the project about performing conform actions on media cache files. I have cleared the files within Premiere several times, but this message keeps returning, in both versions of the software. The errors appear to refer to the same five shots. I don't know if it's related to my crashing issues, but it recently began.

Needless to say, I'm now seriously worried. I have a finished project that's just about to output and I can't do any work on it. (And, sad to say, I'm not enough of a tech detective to know where to look "under the hood" to dig deeper into the inner workings of Premiere, to mix metaphors.) Thanks everyone for your help in advance.

David

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Cannot render ANYTHING without PP crashing
on Feb 11, 2017 at 2:31:51 pm

[David Dean] "Hi - I'm finishing a pilot for a TV series shot and now graded in 6K, ProRes 4444. I cut it using PP 2017 (on a 2016 iMac with 16GB of RAM)."

One starting point is that you are overtaxing that machine. It's barely adequate for 4K with Premiere, let alone 6K. Are you in a 1080 timeline or full 6K? I presume you graded it in Premiere with the Lumetri control. Correct? Why render for output? Why not just export? I would try that first. Send to AME and export from there.

You might switch your GPU setting to software instead of Open CL. Metal doesn't work at all. It will be a lot slower, but you won't be taxing the GPU as much. If you still get the issue, try different codec options when exporting.

Any oddball filters applied? As a test, dupe your sequence, remove all grading and effects and see if you get a successful export. Then start a process of elimination - grade, but no effects, and so on.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Dean
on Feb 11, 2017 at 3:58:24 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly, Oliver - I will attempt an export as you suggested, but the 6K timeline came from the colorist, using DaVinci Resolve. I did not do the grading myself using Lumetri, and no further filters were used. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 11, 2017 at 3:59:51 pm

[David Dean] " but the 6K timeline came from the colorist, using DaVinci Resolve"

So, why are you rendering anything at all? Is this now a 6K source in a 1080 timeline?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 12, 2017 at 12:04:51 am

Hi David,

Oliver provided some good insight and asked good questions. If you're not successful getting this project out, please let me know. Would be great to see your crash logs so that we can hopefully identify the issue.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]