ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Colour Difference Between Different Programs

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Slee
Colour Difference Between Different Programs
on Feb 4, 2017 at 4:14:50 pm

Hi all,

I was exporting a test clip from a project and when I watched it back in QuickTime, it looked a little off. Brighter and less saturated (gamma shift?). I've had some issues with exports playing back in QuickTime so I watched it in VLC which normally sorts out any issues. This time it had a disgusting green tinge that I couldn't place. I've got a screenshot here showing all three next to each other. Plus my export settings (I also had 'Render at Maximum Depth' on which isn't shown).

Any ideas what caused the colour shift and what I can do to get it to look more like the original?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Colour Difference Between Different Programs
on Feb 4, 2017 at 6:50:57 pm

does it look ok if you import back into premiere? it could just be the video players.

Return to posts index

Patrick Slee
on Feb 4, 2017 at 7:11:08 pm

I've checked it and it's different yet again. I had an issue a while ago where I was importing some photographs and they came out with slightly the wrong colours. The only way to fix it was to import the original PSDs. No other format would get it right.

I did notice one thing while I was doing the grade. I would set the playhead where I wanted to be and the clip would come up slightly green, more like the export in the VLC window and then, after a few seconds, it would readjust to what you see there. Am I perhaps not seeing the real image and there's a glitch? Below are the effects I have on this clip (though the whole sequence is affected) and most have the same effects on them with different settings:

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 4, 2017 at 7:26:17 pm

fix all my premiere gamma problems:

1.in ame prefs, deselect import sequences natively
2."Copy the LUTs from PP app "package" Contents/Lumetri/LUT/Technical Folder, and paste everything to AME
Contents/Lumetri/LUT/Technical Folder."
3. delete media cache
4. change project setting from cuda to software render.
5. try an adjustment layer or nesting sequence before adding effects as those both have quirks.
6. change nvidia control panel from 16-235 to 0-255

7. another possible solution, what I use is a 3D LUT which can move the pixels around 2 comparison shots and create a
difference transform.I use this free one.
https://sellfy.com/p/aQ1y/

8.fixmyyoutube-64 cube iridas lut for burning in darker 16-235 from 0-255 for youtube upload. it darkens image, then
youtube re-lightens again. it doesn't work with adjustment layers directly.you have to use it in the dropdown for the
export in adobe media encoder. or you can NEST it first.also it needs to be copied in both premiere-lumetri-technical
and adobe media encoder-lumetri-technical

9. try a different codec for rendering with and without alpha channel
10. nest first to isolate broken area.
11. madvr video player supports color management. mpc-hc view render settings-color management. vlc is 0-255. quicktime
is gamma 1.8.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 5, 2017 at 2:43:08 am

As you may remember I also asked recently about differences between colors in Premiere Pro and VLC or Quicktime. I just took your advice and opened a video I encoded, which, like the OP noted, was lighter and less saturated in VLC, in Premiere Pro and it looks exactly the same as the original. SO that's good to know.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:57:16 pm

There is also a long-known issue in Quicktime Player (now EOL) that causes the Player to incorrectly display gamma. We always use VLC Media Player and avoid Quicktime Player unless we have no choice ( in a few instances for checking closed captions.)

So when we do use Quicktime Player, it is not for Quality Assurance.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]