ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

2nd monitor stopped displaying

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
2nd monitor stopped displaying
on Feb 2, 2017 at 3:51:33 am

I installed a 2nd computer monitor today. I went to Preferences, Playback and checked the 2nd monitor. Everything worked great. Now all of the sudden it doesn't show up anymore. I shut down my computer hoping that would do the trick but it still isn't working. I checked and the 2nd monitor is still selected.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 2nd monitor stopped displaying
on Feb 2, 2017 at 5:41:57 am

Hey Stephen!

First, you need to try to determine where the problem lies by trying to rule out different things...

First, you need to check your GPU drivers for any settings that may have inadvertently toggled off your 2nd monitor. If there are no apparent issues you should try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers.

Next, make sure your 2nd monitor isn't the issue by plugging in the monitor cable from monitor #1. If that works as it should, then test the cables by swapping them.

Hopefully, the things above will have either fixed your issue or revealed a hardware issue... if not, your GPU may have developed an issue affecting only the 2nd monitor output, which means you'll need a replacement.

Hope this helps... If not, contact me privately and I'll try to help.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 9, 2017 at 12:09:28 am

[Andy]
Are you trying to output to the second monitor using the Mercury Transmit?

Yes, the Mercury Transmit check box is checked.

[David]
First, you need to check your GPU drivers for any settings that may have inadvertently toggled off your 2nd monitor.

I didn't install any drivers, the monitor just worked when I plugged it in. The good news is it seems to be working better. If it does go to a blank screen and I unplug the cable that hooks it to the iMac it will return to normal.

By the way, I quite my job and started my own video production company. I'll send you an e-mail in a couple of minutes with my updated contact info.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Feb 2, 2017 at 6:11:23 am

[Stephen Smith] "I installed a 2nd computer monitor today. I went to Preferences, Playback and checked the 2nd monitor. Everything worked great. Now all of the sudden it doesn't show up anymore. I shut down my computer hoping that would do the trick but it still isn't working. I checked and the 2nd monitor is still selected."

Are you trying to output to the second monitor using the Mercury Transmit?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 9, 2017 at 2:26:50 am

He said in the response above yours that he did.

Here's another possible solution, one of the craziest things I've ever heard but a lot of people said it worked. If your Premiere Pro window is spilling into your second monitor, even one pixel's worth, it will cause that problem.

Also, I used to use that 2 monitor setup, but with one of the Premiere Pro updates, it stopped working. I forget which one, it might have been the first cc2015 version or the last cc 2014 version. If you're not using those then ignore this part.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 9, 2017 at 3:49:18 pm

I'm on the newest version of Premiere. I'm not sure how to check to see if it is one pixel over into the second monitor other than just eyeballing it. In that case, it doesn't bleed over into the second monitor.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 9, 2017 at 4:07:50 pm

try changing to color workspace.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 20, 2017 at 10:26:22 pm

Apple had me reset the NVRAM. What will happen now while working in Premier or After Effects the video will play on the 2nd monitor. A few times a day, when I hide or close the program my 2nd screen is a solid gray color. The strange thing is that I can see the mouse cursor if I bring it over to that screen. The only way to get the screen to return to normal is to upload it from the screen or turn off the computer.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]