ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

FYi Use Previews has been improved

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Powers
FYi Use Previews has been improved
on Feb 2, 2017 at 12:10:17 am
Last Edited By Dan Powers on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:37:18 pm

I posted yesterday that my previews were not being used and searched the forum to find many others complaining that "use Previews" on export actually was not except in a few very rare cases.

After doing some time tests today on render vs export times, I have found that setting your Sequence Preview files settings to Pro Res HQ, and then exporting out to HQ, it is very very fast. Yes same format, it should be fast.
Then I tried 422 for the export. Not quite as fast but it was pretty quick. Unchecked the Use Previews box and it slowed down a lot. Which makes sense. Did the same with H264, and it was similar to 422, but maybe 10% longer.
Last year, this process would be much longer in any senario other than HQ. So it appears progress has been made in the actual usage of render files for exports of formats other than the primary sequence or preview file settings...
-Previous post below.

When setting timeline sequence preview to very high quality formats such as Apple Pro Res 4444 Maximum Bit depth and maximum quality in order to render previews at the highest quality, Premiere SHOULD use those preview files on the export so as not to HAVE to re-render very CPU extensive effects! The math has already been done, save it!
If we put those preview files on the timeline on an upper layer, Premiere WILL use those preview files and the export is faster.
You need a button that says "REALLY use Previews" on export!
It is ridiculous to not use render files on computationally time consuming effect renders and force the user to re-render timeline effects for an output. GIVE US THE CHOICE!

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: FYi Use Previews has been improved
on Feb 3, 2017 at 7:28:35 pm

Wow, that's pretty huge. Especially if it can do this with h.264. I'm going to try this out.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 5, 2017 at 9:35:09 am

AIUI the previews are only used if the export video settings match the preview settings.

Which makes some sense, and acts as a check that export/preview settings are correct, as the previews may be lower quality.

Agree that it would be good to have a 'use previews regardless ' option IN ADDITION. Currently I export SAS - which uses previews - then use media encoder to squash down to H264.

(SAS = 'Same As Source' = 'Match Sequence Settings'

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Feb 7, 2017 at 3:45:27 pm

On my testing I had my preview settings for Pro Res HQ, and the export with USE previews was significantly faster going to H264 than with it unchecked...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]