ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Default codec for Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D j Harris
Default codec for Premiere
on Jan 30, 2017 at 1:05:36 pm

Hi, I know this is much discussed! I have done a fair bit of reading on the best codec for Premiere but can't quite get a clear answer. We have recently moved over from Avid MC.

Love the workflow of Adobe CC but we are used to having a 'go-to' codec.This was DNXHD in Avid's case, so we carried on using this in Premiere. However I read on the 'tweakers page' (I believe this is the site of choice for Premiere advice!) that anything Quicktime might be operating in 32 bit so therefore slower. We have up to date Adobe CC but I notice that the Adobe QT 32 Sever processes are still running in task manager. We have arrived at the conclusion that GoPro Cineform seems to be most people's choice for ease of editing, and I have done some render tests and it seems one of the fastest.

So I guess 2 questions:

Is the GoPro Cineform YUV 10 bit codec that installs with Premiere a good choice for editing with?

Is DNXHD operating in 32 bit if we have an up to date Adobe CC installation?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Default codec for Premiere
on Jan 30, 2017 at 1:52:07 pm

If you want to stay Quicktime based, its a good choice...however, if you are sharing files with someone who does not have Premiere Pro, they would have to install the Cineform codec.

If you are not bound to using Quicktime media, DNX HD and DNX HR are available and offer high performance in an MXF container. (Note that Premiere's settings are for the OP1A variant of MXF and not OP Atom, which Avid uses for its edit systems...so the files are not directly playable from the Avid Media Files folder, though they can be linked and/or consolidated to an Avid system.)

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 30, 2017 at 3:35:26 pm

even better, cineform renders previews faster than prores! begon prores!

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-3-CPU...

Return to posts index

D j Harris
on Feb 6, 2017 at 12:57:55 pm

Hi, thanks guys.

Most of our work goes straight to clients in h.264, so I think Cineform is looking good as a 'house codec'. Been using it for the last week with no problems, and seems to render a bit faster.

Thanks for the advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]