ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Playback delayed after clicking away

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Marion
Playback delayed after clicking away
on Jan 29, 2017 at 6:49:01 pm

I have a very peculiar issue. I noticed that if I boot up my system and then load Premiere, the program works perfectly. However, if I click away from Premiere to use another program, a weird thing happens. When I return to Premiere, start playback is delayed in random durations of about 1-6 seconds. It doesn't matter if I hit spacebar while focused on the timeline, or if I click the play button on the viewer as playback is delayed using both methods. This problem only arises after I reboot my machine, open Premiere, click away from Premiere to another program, and then back to Premiere.

Let me know if additional information about my setup is required to diagnose the issue.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Playback delayed after clicking away
on Jan 29, 2017 at 7:04:40 pm

sounds like a windows priority issue or ram. how much ram do you have? and how much allocated to premiere?

Return to posts index

Zach Marion
on Jan 30, 2017 at 2:58:52 am

32 GB total. All but 6 is allocated to Premiere. Running OSX.

Return to posts index

Zach Marion
on Jan 30, 2017 at 3:20:23 am

Attaching a ProRes proxy has no effect. Setting the playback and paused resolution to 1/4 has no effect. I have checked that the sequence settings are best suited for the media, which are cinema DNGs.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 30, 2017 at 3:52:02 am

1. mac os 10.12.3 has video patch.
2. also, the default ram allocation should be 70-75% of total RAM.
3. in preferences, is cuda enabled?
4., under nvidia contorl panel, manage 3D settings, add premiere.exe to primary gfx card as compatibility perf mode. it might be snapping back to the secondary gfx card accidentally while switching between programs.

Return to posts index

Zach Marion
on Jan 30, 2017 at 5:38:25 am

Chris, thanks for the tips.

1. I am running Yosemite 10.10.5. I did an OS update, which required an Nvidia driver update. No change.
2. I changed the RAM allocation to 75%. No change.
3. Cuda is enabled. I am assuming you meant setting the renderer in Project Settings to Mercury (CUDA).
4. I think those settings only apply to Windows. I could not find a way to set the compatibility perf mode for Premiere on my Mac.

Struggling onward...

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 31, 2017 at 2:47:33 am

darn, you got a nasty problem that is not consistent. is it only this project? try importing it from a new project.

1. try creating a new administrator account.
2. did you try closing all panels and the sequence, then reopening them.
3. did you try opencl or renderer-software?-at least this would isolate case to gfx card instead or cpu or hd.
4. enable high quality playback under wrench
5. reset preferences, or even re-installing premiere with adobe cleaner(as a last result)
if all this fails, I would contact adobe and select 'video queue' for your technical support.

Return to posts index

Zach Marion
on Feb 5, 2017 at 7:33:46 pm

I thought I would update this thread as I have found a solution.

After a long chat with Adobe Tech Support, the rep suggested I turn all of my media into a different format. The media was acquired in the .mlr format (Magic Lantern raw) and converted into Cinema DNGs using RAWMagic from the App store before being brought into Premiere. I converted everything to ProRes 444, and the problem went away!

Thank you again for all of your contributions. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 5, 2017 at 7:54:16 pm

Thanks for posting the solution. so it turned out to be a simple codec transcode... Prores is less cpu intensive. Still, a little weird that clicking away fried the cpu. " load Premiere, the program works perfectly." I still consider that a computer bug! whatever.. if it works, it works!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]