ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere pro ultimate storage setup 4K editing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dom Curulli
Premiere pro ultimate storage setup 4K editing
on Jan 25, 2017 at 5:06:18 am

I have been using Premiere Pro for a while now with the following storage configuration to edit 1080p and 4K content from a Panasonic G7

C:\ – 250gb SSD (windows 10, programs)
D:\ – 1tb using 2x500gb platter drives Raid 0 (source media to edit)

I also have a server with ~110Mb/s throughput to my PC where I keep an archive of the original source footage, and the premiere project file saves also get stored here (Raid 10 server array).
Don't worry about creating cineform files or proxies for easier editing I already do that, I'd like to focus on storage here.

Now I know just throwing ssds into the mix will improve performance regardless but I'm looking for the best setup. I've done some research but cannot find this anywhere explained clearly and concisely so need some guidance.

I am thinking the following:

C:\ – 250gb SSD (windows 10, programs)
D:\ – 1tb SSD storage 2x500gb in Raid 0 (source media to edit)
And instead of exporting to a slow mechanical drive, export to an SSD (I heard this make a big difference?)

The part I'm not sure about is where to keep media cache and premiere previews (on the OS SSD?) and if scratch disk locations matter, as I did some research and read that scratch disks only affect media 'captured' or recorded within premiere is that correct?
Also, does it matter that the project save file is on a slower server drive and not local, does that affect anything other than save time?

Is there anything else I should consider to have a perfect storage setup?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Premiere pro ultimate storage setup 4K editing
on Jan 25, 2017 at 9:17:17 am

[Dom Curulli] "The part I'm not sure about is where to keep media cache and premiere previews (on the OS SSD?) and if scratch disk locations matter, as I did some research and read that scratch disks only affect media 'captured' or recorded within premiere is that correct?
Also, does it matter that the project save file is on a slower server drive and not local, does that affect anything other than save time?"

I am not sure what you are trying to do. Your RAID is really small. It might be wise to stripe 4-8 hard drives that are 2TB-4TB in size and have your scratch disk and cache files on the same drive as your project files (the RAID). If your RAID gets full just store them on 2TB, 3TB or even 4TB hard drives using hot swappable drive bays. I am not sure if this helped or not but I have provided a video of hot swappable drives bays and rack gear.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Premiere pro ultimate storage setup 4K editing
on Jan 25, 2017 at 2:52:26 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jan 25, 2017 at 4:09:37 pm

it's been proven that you don't need 960 pro ssd for exporting. even a cheap sata 3 SSD is fast enough for exports.

1. boot drive: OS,programs, Windows page file, ,exports, and media cache/cache files
2. 960 EVO NVMe drive: media, project files, previews, AE 'global performance cache'
3. 7200RPM WD drive should only be for backup of important media , project files and archiving

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]