ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Exporting an Entire Movie?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Williams
Exporting an Entire Movie?
on Jan 24, 2017 at 3:27:00 pm

I’m a total beginner and really need some advise on what’s the best way to export an entire movie from Premiere. It’s about an hour and fifteen minutes in length. I don’t know the exact length yet because I haven’t stuck all the scenes together yet, done the final edit or put the credits on, but it will be roughly and hour and quarter of DV at 720x576. I know that one minute of that exported as .mov (the default for DV I think) is 224.3MB so based on that the whole film at an estimated length of 75 mins would be 16,822.5 MB. I’m not sure how that would be expressed as GB!

What is the best way of exporting this? One massive file, or multiple ten minute sections? Also, how can you export it so it plays in a DVD player? I don’t have a DVD burner but I have a DVD player on the Mac already so can I export it so it can play in that? I would also like to know what is the best setting if you want to upload it to YouTube and host it on your own website? Thanks for your help. As soon as I’ve posted this I’m going to google this and see what I can find out on the web, but last time I searched I did’t really find anything very helpful!

Thanks again,
Gareth

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exporting an Entire Movie?
on Jan 24, 2017 at 3:45:25 pm

You're aware that if you're going to make a DVD, you need both a DVD burner AND DVD authoring software, right?

The types of files that appear on YouTube and that the DVD technical standard requires are very different. I think I would export the finished project in a high-quality codec, then use Adobe Media Encoder to create the various files you need for delivery. For this purpose, I like QT movies in JPEG 2000, PNG or Photo JPEG codecs. If you happen to be on a Mac, ProRes 422 would win out.

Then you just have to find someone with DVD authoring software and a DVD burner.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jan 24, 2017 at 4:16:31 pm

You're final file will be roughly 16 GB as is. If you have Adobe Encore from CS6, you can export a high quality master file (or use Dynamic Link), and then Encore will transcode it to a DVD format for you. You can also use a Media Encoder DVD preset. Either way, Encore will compress it to fit the 4.5 GB DVD limit. You can create a DVD .img or .iso file that you can then send to someone who does have a DVD burner, or just purchase a cheap USB DVD drive from Amazon and burn it yourself.

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Jan 24, 2017 at 7:55:56 pm

Thanks guys, This sounds like much more of a operation than I thought when I started making the film! I might have misunderstood the replies, apologies if I’m being dim here, but let’s suppose I don’t have Encore (I haven’t checked yet) Can I export a DVD file (from Premiere) without a DVD burner, and play it on my computer’s DVD player? This would allow me to design the DVD menu and all that business without going out and buying a USB DVD burner. If I need to get it burned onto a DVD to hand out to friends etc. I would then get a USB DVD burner later.

The file for uploading to my website and YouTube is a separate question. What would you advise I do for that? From Premiere, sorry if you have answered that already and I’ve not understood it. I'm new to all this! So I’ve made the film in a Premiere file, then I need to get it into Media Encoder (I defiantly do have that), is that right? And export it from there?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 24, 2017 at 8:16:02 pm

Hi Gareth,

As a subscriber to Adobe Premiere CC, you do have the option to download previous versions. You need to download Premiere CS6 and that will include Encore CS6 for creating DVDs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encore-cs6-installed-cc.html

From Premiere, use File > Export > Media and export as MPEG-2 DVD, using an appropriate preset such as PAL DV. This will create two files, .m2v video and .wav audio. Both will get imported into Encore to build a DVD.

Lacking a DVD burner, you can instead instruct Encore to Build a FOLDER or an IMAGE, the latter being an .iso file, to your hard drive. Some media player software will allow you to "play" either the folder content or image from the hard drive as if playing the actual DVD. The free VLC Media Player for PC will play from an .iso but I understand you have a Mac, so I don't know which app to suggest.

There is a Preview option in Encore to test DVD menus before burning. Encore or a similar DVD Authoring software must be used to create an actual DVD, once cannot simply burn the exported files to a data disc. Look at any DVD in a computer and you will see a VIDEO_TS folder, with .vob files inside - that layout and format is all created by the authoring package and is part of what makes a "Video DVD" versus video files on a disc.

For YouTube and other online/computer viewing, export using an H.264 format and a preset appropriate to your needs, such as PAL DV.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Jan 24, 2017 at 9:16:30 pm

Thanks for your help Jeff, I think I’ll try the YouTube/website file first because that sounds simpler. I’ll sort out the DVD version afterwards. When I have exported the H.264, PAL DV file, what file type will it be? or should it be? When I did my one minute example it was .mov but I’m not sure if it matters?

Also, if I do this (I think) I will have a massive 15GB file. Is this the best way of doing it? I’m sure I have video on my computer that’s about 50MB per minute with bigger screen size, 1080 I think, and it looks really sharp, mine is 720x576. I’m a bit worried if I’m going to be able to upload such a big file to YouTube or my website but I don’t know, maybe it will be no problem. What you you think?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 24, 2017 at 9:20:48 pm

When exporting using H.264, the resulting file is an .mp4 which can be played on any PC or Mac, tablet, uploaded to YouTube, etc., pretty universal format. Can probably put it on a USB stick and play from USB slot of many HD TV sets or newer DVD/Blu-ray players that have a USB port. Maybe you won't need to make a disc after all?

File size should be considerably smaller than the .mov option.

If you use the H.264 > YouTube preset, look for the "480p" option, as 1080p or 720p would be HD and your source is not HD.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Jan 24, 2017 at 9:49:21 pm

Thanks again, that's a massive help, I'll export a five minute section with those settings tomorrow and see how that goes when I upload it. That all sounds good to me, I'll post again if I have any more questions about the options when I come to do it, but I think I'll be Ok. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 24, 2017 at 9:52:06 pm

Make sure when exporting that you match the frame rate of source. I'm in the US so typically 29.97 for me, but based on your video dimensions I will assume PAL so you'd likely be wanting 25fps on exports. If source is interlaced, that is fine for DVD, but any export for computer/online viewing should be Progressive, check for that under 'fields' in Export Settings.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Jan 24, 2017 at 10:12:58 pm

Thanks for your help Jeff, I was just going to export a five minute section to test it out but …

I’ve run into a problem following your advice. If you select “Format - H.264” in “Preset” you can choose either PAL DV or YouTube 480p SD but you can’t have both, as in your earlier post you said do it H.264 and PAL DV I’m now wondering which is best for low file size and good image quality? My footage is PAL not NTSC and PAL is checked in the video options still when “Preset - YouTube 480p SD” is selected.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Jan 24, 2017 at 10:20:05 pm

Thanks for your help Jeff, I was just going to export a five minute section to test it out but …

I’ve run into a problem following your advice. If you select “Format - H.264” in “Preset” you can choose either PAL DV or YouTube 480p SD but you can’t have both, as in your earlier post you said do it H.264 and PAL DV I’m now wondering which is best for low file size and good image quality? My footage is PAL not NTSC and PAL is checked in the video options still when “Preset - YouTube 480p SD” is selected.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 24, 2017 at 10:44:00 pm

Having never exported anything as PAL, I was uneducated. Just went into the YouTube 480p settings and found if I change NTSC to PAL, it automatically changes the resolution and frame rate, so that is good.

Two things determine the size of an exported file, and those are length and bit rate. Comparing the DV PAL and YouTube 480p (PAL), looks like DV PAL uses a 3mbps average, while YT uses 8mbps, so the YT file will be like 2.5x bigger I guess.

Try each and see how they look on playback

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Jan 25, 2017 at 2:12:50 pm

Thanks Jeff. I have exported a 5 minute section with “Format - H.264” and “Preset - PAL DV” and it’s file size is 131.4Mb, that’s not too bad for 5 minutes, that would make a whole 75 minute movie roughly 1.97GB. I think that should be alright.

This is a massive improvement on the default export settings and it looks and sounds fine. 75 minutes with these settings 1.97BG is a massive improvement on 16GB with the last ones I used. It took 2.40 to export which would mean the whole 75 minute film should take 40 minutes to export. That’s not too bad.

Like you said, the YouTube preset (480p) is coming out much bigger, more than double the size so I think I’ll go with the PAL DV preset and if I want to get it down even further I’ll try halving the screen size to 360x288 putting the audio sample rate down from 48kHz to 32 or 16 and maybe dropping the frame rate down to 12 from 25.

5 Minutes: H.264 - PAL DV =131.4Mb 75 Minutes =1971Mb
5 Minutes: H.264 - YouTube 480p SD=290Mb 75 Minutes =4350Mb

YouTube 480p SD preset is much bigger, more than double! Maybe it’s quicker to upload (to YouTube) with that preset, I don’t know, but it’s a no brainer for me to use the PAL DV preset, especially for my own website. Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 25, 2017 at 3:06:47 pm

I would recommend against lowering the video resolution or audio quality - most online content these days is HD. Your content is SD, already a much lower quality to begin with, don't make it worse 😉

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Jan 25, 2017 at 6:34:30 pm

Sounds like good advice! Thanks again :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]