ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to remove clicking noise

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matteo Badin
How to remove clicking noise
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:30:10 pm

Hi everyone! I have a problem in fixing the audio of some clips in premiere. When I play some of the clips I shot with my go pro hero4 silver inside its cover, I hear strange noises like "clicks" and "crackles", maybe because my gopro moved inside the cover (have you ever had the same problem?). Anyway, I can't reduce these noises at all. I tried with premiere audio effects DeClicker and DeCrackler and even with AfterEffects grain reduction, but it doesn't seem to work. I must delete these annoying crackles because otherwise I can't hear the people who are talking in the video, but I really don't know how to do it. Do you know how I could fix the audio with premiere pro cc or if there is another program specialized in audio fixing? Thanks :D

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to remove clicking noise
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:38:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 23, 2017 at 5:46:27 pm

If the noise is so loud that it competes with people talking, you're stuck. You won't be able to remove noise without removing voices in the process. Just re-shoot and save yourself a lot of grief.

And if you can't re-shoot, you'll just have to consider this a hard lesson learned about proper preparation before shooting.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matteo Badin
on Jan 23, 2017 at 7:54:21 pm

Thank you Dave LaRonde, unfortunately I can't re-shoot my video because I shot it when I was on holiday in Copenhagen :\
Isn't there a way to at least reduce a bit those annoying crackles?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2017 at 8:41:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 23, 2017 at 8:43:07 pm

How much of the people's voices do you want to lose? That's the problem.

If you want to try to fix it, I would do it in Audition. It has better audio tools. Even so, it won't be easy, and there will be nothing you can do automatically.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
on Jan 23, 2017 at 7:50:49 pm

If you can isolate one instance of a "crackle" without speech in it in Adobe Audition you can try to highlight it and right click and "Capture Noise Print" Then in the menu select Noise reduction in Effects.

You can also try spot heal or auto heal...

Good luck!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 23, 2017 at 7:55:17 pm

Also in Auditon, you can view the audio spectrum and use the eraser tool to remove it, or at least lessen it. Clicks are usually easy to spot.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Jan 23, 2017 at 9:23:55 pm

And just to be sure. . .

Are these MP3 audio files? If so, convert to AIFF or WAV files, and see if that reduces the issue playing back in Premiere.

But if these noises are truly part of the waveform - well, what they said above.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Matteo Badin
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:43:59 am

That seems a goog idea

Return to posts index

Matteo Badin
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:43:06 am

Ok thanks! I'll try this way

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 24, 2017 at 3:22:02 pm

Try what John recommended with the Spectral view - that can be very helpful when manually removing noises.

I have seen one piece of software perform actual magic, and that is SpectralLayers Pro 3 from Magix (formerly from Sony).

You can have someone talking, and a police siren goes by in the background, and with some effort, the siren can be completely removed! There is not a "remove siren" button - this takes some work and effort to accomplish, but is possible. So amazing things can be accomplished with this software.

Perhaps you can post a short example of the issue so we know what problems your audio has? Would make it easier to suggest a fix

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Matteo Badin
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:26:04 pm

Okay, this is the wave form. All those peaks and troughs you see are the clicks, so if there were an eraser tool I think it wouldn't be difficult to erase them. I imported the clips in Adobe Audition as John suggested and now I'm trying to erase the clicks. The problem is that I never used Audition and I can't find any eraser. Anyway, this is the wave form. If you think it's simpler, I can download the program you suggest.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 24, 2017 at 8:04:34 pm

There is a little button at the upper left of Audition (pictured) to enable Spectral View. I don't have a clip available at the moment to demonstrate, but if there were a sharp noise in the clip, you might see a bright-colored "spike" in the color spectrum. Take the mouse and draw a tight box around it to highlight that part of the sound spectrum, then Ctrl - U to "Auto Heal" and see if that helps.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Matteo Badin
on Jan 24, 2017 at 10:21:23 pm

Woah great! It does work! I deleted the clicks almost completely, thank you. By the way, what if I had to raise the volume of people talking and decrease ground noise in Audition?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]