ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Editing Mode & Preview File Format?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Downs
Editing Mode & Preview File Format?
on Jan 19, 2017 at 12:54:20 am

I'm the last guy on earth to switch from FCP to PP, and things are going reasonably well (my files are typically ProRes 1080p, or native 1080p files from a Canon C100 or 5D). But I'm baffled by the Editing Mode and Preview File Format options in the Sequence Settings options, and I can't find any solid information about it. Official Adobe help files aren't much help in either case.

When I drag ProRes footage into a new sequence, it seems to automatically select ARRI Cinema or Blackmagic Uncompressed (which also changed the Preview File Format from I-Frame Only to Blackmagic Quicktime Movie).

All this is very different from FCP, and I just need some help from a knowledgeable PP user. When working with ProRes or 5D/C100 native files (always 1080p), what should my Sequence Settings be? Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Editing Mode & Preview File Format?
on Jan 19, 2017 at 2:15:26 am

It really doesn't matter. You can drop AVCHD into a MJPEG timeline of you want. You can drop AVCHD into an HDV timeline. Just make sure at export everything is setup OK. I think Blackmagic Design cameras can record in Pro Res so it might be the best option.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jan 19, 2017 at 4:00:48 am
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on Jan 19, 2017 at 4:01:54 am

So pick any sequence you want and then change it. That's what you want to do. The relationship is that if the preview matches the source matches the output then things are really fast at time of output. The previews will be used in the render and since they'll be the same as the output there'll be no need to rebuild them.

Take a look at any of the DNxHD sequence presets settings and you'll understand how to set one up.

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2011/08/a-prores-workflow-end-to-end.html

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 19, 2017 at 4:31:41 am

Y'know, there are "Premiere Pro For FCP Editors" training materials available. I'm told they make the transition a lot smoother. I'm pretty sure they're just a google away.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]