ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Variable Frame Rate with external audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephan Egli
Variable Frame Rate with external audio
on Jan 18, 2017 at 12:45:05 am

So I have footage that I shot with an iphone 6 that is done with variable frame rate. I use handbrake and turn it to constant frame rate so I later can edit the video in premiere pro. However...

Now I have external audio that I want to use. So I want that audio to match with the iphone footage. If it was a normal video I would just sync it up with premiere pro remove the old audio no prob. But since its vfr I am stuck. I can't convert with handbrake cause it will use the iphone audio. And if I do convert and then try and switch out the iphone audio with the external audio it doesn't stay in sync. Any way around this?! Some way of maybe telling handbrake to take a different audio source? Or some other software that could work? Please help.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Variable Frame Rate with external audio
on Jan 18, 2017 at 3:04:49 am

can you stretch the audio in premiere so the waveforms line up with the phenomes? you may need to make a few razor slices. your audio recorder may have drifted compared to a cell phone.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Variable Frame Rate with external audio
on Jan 18, 2017 at 2:31:06 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 18, 2017 at 3:44:59 pm

As you say, you're stuck.

You've observed that if you convert the video to a fixed frame rate -- which PP must use -- you will change the speed of the video. You don't have to use the clip's audio if you don't want to.

You now know because you changed the clip's speed, the external audio won't sync up. You MIGHT be able to edit the audio to make it sync up, but it would take hours and there is NO guarantee it would work.

I don't know any way out of this basic, fundamental oversight.

The fix: get the iPhone app that makes it shoot at a fixed frame rate. I forget its name. Then re-shoot.

The lessons to be learned: don't assume phone video will work perfectly. And unless you know from experience that something WILL work, run tests before you do it for real.

Hoping and assuming something will work is for amateurs. So is ignorance of one's tools.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]