ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

My iMac crashes with Adobe Premiere 2017.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Irene Steirou
My iMac crashes with Adobe Premiere 2017.
on Jan 16, 2017 at 11:02:07 pm

I have an iMac (late 2013) with Yosemite and I am working as a professional videographer. Since I updated in Adobe Premiere 2017, it crashed my system 3-4 times per day, especially when I use multiple layers or title cards. What is wrong?

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: My iMac crashes with Adobe Premiere 2017.
on Jan 17, 2017 at 1:51:10 am

If you copy and paste text into the titler in the latest version it will crash premiere. This is a known bug that Adobe is fixing for the next release. You need to provide a bunch more info if you expect someone to help you trouble shoot. System details, Codec of media you are using, sequence settings etc. More info the better.

You can also read about other known issues with the currently shipping version here :
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/known-issues-premiere-pro-cc-2017.h...

If you don't want to deal with these issues, you can always install the previous version (2015.4 / .3 / .2) through the adobe desktop application / look for previous version tab and select your version to download and install. Just remember to export a XML of your latest project so you can open up your project in the previous version of the software.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Irene Steirou
on Jan 17, 2017 at 4:18:47 pm

Dear Andy thank you for your reply.
Good to know about the bug associated with the titler, one of the crash occasions was because of that, but not the only one. I contacted Adobe support and they recommended to switch in Project settings Renderer from CUDA to Software only. My iMac has 2.9 processor, 16GB RAM and NVidia Geforce GT750M 1024MB. I am usually editing HD footage from DSLR. I can't install the previous version because I usually share projects that has installed Premiere 2017.
I have saved multiple crash reports, I can upload them here as an image , if you would like to have a quick look.

Best

Eirini

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Jan 17, 2017 at 4:42:31 pm

Hi Eirini,

The switch to software only will cause your exports to take a long time vs. taking advantage of the CUDA GPU engine. Are your Nvidia CUDA drivers up to date? You can check this in the Nvidia panel under your system preference.

Exporting an XML from a future version of Premiere will allow you to import it into a previous version of Premiere. Not sure if you are comfortable doing that, but it is an option if you get fed up with the crashes and want to downgrade to a previous version of Premiere that wasn't crashing as much.

You can submit your crash logs to Adobe as they will want to know about it vs. posting them here on the COW. What operating system are you running? Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra? You can find this from the About This Mac menu.

Andy

Return to posts index

Irene Steirou
on Jan 17, 2017 at 6:52:07 pm

My Nvidia CUDA drivers are up to date, however whenever I use CUDA a pixelised artifice appears on my screen.
I am still running Yosemite. Should I update?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 17, 2017 at 8:22:35 pm

does it help if you change to pref-renderer - opencl and enable high quality playback under wrench?

Return to posts index

Irene Steirou
on Jan 17, 2017 at 8:50:55 pm

I will try Open CL as renderer and see how it goes. Did you suggest the High Quality Playback for fixing the artifice? The artifice is not only inside Premiere, it spreads all over desktop and Finder as well.
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Jan 17, 2017 at 9:25:03 pm

If you go back and read this old post about this issue, you'll see a lot of people having the same problem with the Nvidia GT750M and related Nvidia cards under Yosemite.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/961633

Have you been having this same problem since July 2015? Did you ever take your iMac into Apple and have them see if your graphics card is bad?

Did Nvidia give you a specific driver to download that they know works with your hardware and software?

Since you are seeing it happen in the Finder and other Apps, this is not a Premiere CC2017 issue.

Andy

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jan 18, 2017 at 6:56:27 am

[Andy Edwards] "If you copy and paste text into the titler in the latest version it will crash premiere. This is a known bug that Adobe is fixing for the next release."

It may or may not get fixed. I lost faith in Adobe fixing the bugs I reported over two years ago. I guess Mac or PC doesn't really matter. I swear someone working at Adobe is trying to sabotage Premiere Pro. I say that because CS 4 and CS 5.5 had very few bugs. CC is filled with them. I found bugs my first day of using CC.

Return to posts index

Bryan Stewart
on Jan 21, 2017 at 2:21:52 am

I think for the now the easiest solution is to go back to Premiere 2017 version 11.0.1 under "View Previous Versions" in the CC panel.

Ever since I updated to 11.0.2, all my previous projects that had been stable were slow and lagging, especially with Lumetri color effects applied. It didn't matter if I was using CUDA or OpenCL as my renderer (OpenCL is more stable for me ever since Apple released 10.10 Yosemite, which is a different conversation), any Lumetri Color effects would have the red render bar above the timeline and would not play back in real time. Usually it's a breeze with either the yellow or no bar.

I went back to 11.0.1, deleted all my cache and preview files, restarted, imported my entire project into a fresh New project, and all my projects worked great with full performance (once again using OpenCL).

For reference, I use a Late-2012 27in iMac, 3.4Ghz i7, 32 DDR3, standard 1tb hard drive for boot drive with external thunderbolt/usb 3.0 storage, and Geforce GTX 675MX 1024MB.

I submitted some tickets to Adobe Support. Hopefully they'll smooth this out with the next update.

Return to posts index

Irene Steirou
on Jan 29, 2017 at 9:56:49 pm

Thank you all for your replies! It's amazing to find so much support!
I did not manage to downgrade to 11.0.1, but I did re-install CC2017 and I currently use Open CL and it has been so far, so good. Although I am currently working on simple projects without graphics and multiple layers, I wanna see what happens with more challenging ones). I totally agree CC 2017 is full of bugs and much slower.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]