ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

New monitor. Clips look fine, but have yellow tint in PPro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
New monitor. Clips look fine, but have yellow tint in PPro
on Jan 14, 2017 at 9:04:38 pm

I finally "upgraded" from a 720p HDTV monitor to 1080p. Huge difference. I was shocked how horrible my old videos looked. I was color correcting and grading blind, almost.

Anyway, when I view white balanced, properly exposed video straight from my camera in VLC viewer, it looks fine, but when I open it in Premiere Pro there's a yellowish tint to it. I can correct it, but then I don't know if I'm making it too red. I'm not sure which color profile to rely on.

Here's a video I just shot for test purposes this morning. You only have to watch the first few seconds. Do the colors look ok? I'm going for a slightly cool look with this grade. Other than that, is it possible for the color profile in Premiere to be off, with a way to adjust it?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: New monitor. Clips look fine, but have yellow tint in PPro
on Jan 14, 2017 at 9:15:03 pm

You need to try and calibrate your monitor to a somewhat decent level. You can use the built in calibration in Windows that can be found in the display control panel settings.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 14, 2017 at 9:23:08 pm

I did calibrate, Tero. Everything looks great, except that clips imported into Premiere Pro have a yellowish tint even though they look fine OOC on VLC. Ignore the sample video, once again I butchered the grading.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 14, 2017 at 9:26:17 pm

Here is the ungraded video right out of the camera. I manually white balanced. Never had a problem with that before. Does this look correctly wb'd or does it have a yellow tint?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 14, 2017 at 9:38:17 pm

I haven't made any serious calibration to my home displays but my eyeball calibrated monitors don't show a strong tint in the clips. The first one is cooler and the second one is warmer but I wouldn't say that it's to an effect.

Does your monitor have any white balance/color temp settings? Make a white matte in Premiere (new item - color matte) and see how it looks. Then try to set the monitor so the white is close to as pure white as you can.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 14, 2017 at 10:41:46 pm

Yes, one is graded to the cool side and the other is straight out of the camera. My tv does have a white balance. I made all the adjustments. The only one I disagreed with is brightness. Correct brightness was way too bright so I lowered it a bit.

I just shot some more footage although it's starting to get dark here. I raised the tint to +1 on the GH4 and adjusted wb by the kelvin scale, much better result but since no one ever suggests raising the tint I have to believe it's the tv that's off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]