ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Syncing multiple interview clips up with 1 external audio clip

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ryan
Syncing multiple interview clips up with 1 external audio clip
on Jan 13, 2017 at 10:51:39 pm

Is there an easy way to go about this? We shoot interviews on dslr's, and record our audio separately to a Tascam recorder. Once we get the footage ingested we cull through it and lay out what we want to use on the timeline. From here, it's a pain to manually sync the Tascam audio clip by clip to the timeline.

Some of the editors have been working around it by syncing all the video clips with the audio clip as a first step, and then making "sub-sequences" from the synced timeline to organize and label content. This feels backward to me. I've been assuming we should be able to lay out all of our video first, and then when we have our edit locked, easily lay in the externally recorded audio. What am I missing?

Nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Syncing multiple interview clips up with 1 external audio clip
on Jan 13, 2017 at 11:11:11 pm

[Nick Ryan] "Some of the editors have been working around it by syncing all the video clips with the audio clip as a first step, and then making "sub-sequences" from the synced timeline to organize and label content."

That's what you do. You sync the audio to the footage FIRST...then edit. If you have multiple cameras, then you make multi-clips with those cameras and the audio...and then edit.

[Nick Ryan] "This feels backward to me. I've been assuming we should be able to lay out all of our video first, and then when we have our edit locked, easily lay in the externally recorded audio. What am I missing?"

OK...how would syncing a single audio clip to chopped up video be easy? Typically you have either a slate clap or other means of having a visible and audible way to line up the footage...or you'd have matching timecode so you can group it that way. If the video is chopped up, then the slate is useless...as you only have that for the first chunk of video, as the rest of your clips have no slate. If you have matching timecode, that'll work...but then you'll need to add that audio to ALL THOSE SEPARATE files...instead of the first one. And really, you can't add audio to an existing multiclip or group...so not sure how you will add it if you grouped the footage, and then chopped it up.

There's an order to how you do things, and a reason for that order.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Ryan
Re: Syncing multiple interview clips up with 1 external audio clip
on Jan 15, 2017 at 3:16:02 pm

Shane, what you say makes good sense when you lay it out like that. I think I get the logic now.

I guess what I'm really missing is the ability to easily work with sub clips and have everything named and organized in my project bin. If I don't worry about the audio I can easily pull an interview clip into the viewer, subclip each interview section, and put all this into their appropriate bins.

If we sync audio first (which again, does make sense now that you've explained), I don't see an easy way of retaining that subclip workflow. The other editors have been putting everything into a timeline to sync it, and then making nests for each interview section. That way we can name each nest, organize everything the way we want in bins, and retain sync. I would just rather edit 300 clips instead of 300 nests. Are we still making it harder than it's supposed to be? Or is it usual to trade subclips for audio sync?

Thanks so much! Your knowledge has been super helpful!

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]