ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Depressing. Footage in Premiere/VLC looks VERY different in Quicktime/Vimeo/Youtube

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Elliott
Depressing. Footage in Premiere/VLC looks VERY different in Quicktime/Vimeo/Youtube
on Jan 4, 2017 at 1:59:54 am

Well, this is depressing. I don't know if something is wrong with my MacBook 2016, but I've noticed that footage in the Premiere program monitor looks VERY different to the exported video in various platforms, to the extent that I don't even know why I bother color correcting! I took some screenshots of the exact same video (below). This is a H.264 export at 16mbps. I also tried various other exports (quicktime, matched source, prores etc) and got some results.

Premiere is what I want it to look like, and vlc represents this very very well. But Quicktime, Vimeo & Youtube (safari), Preview (Mac) all produce the same gamma shift and desaturation. With Firefox Vimeo going in the opposite direction and looking like the woman's face is on fire. I exported to my iPhone via dropbox and the results were somewhere in between.

THIS IS CRAZY?! I know there isn't a HUGE difference, but its enough to make me not want to bother colouring anything ever again knowing that I have no idea whether it will be played by people on Vimeo/quicktime (way more drained than what I'm editing/seeing in Premiere) or VLC (accurate to Premiere, but...so what)

Has anyone got any pointers? Give up making videos?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Depressing. Footage in Premiere/VLC looks VERY different in Quicktime/Vimeo/Youtube
on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:14:33 am

I can't promise this will work for you, but many people have had luck using this LUT I made for youtube.

64 cube iridas lut for burning in darker 16-235 from 0-255 for youtube upload. it darkens image, then youtube re-lightens again.
https://f1.creativecow.net/10598/fixmyyoutube

note:
it doesn't work with adjustment layers directly
you have to use it in the dropdown for the export in adobe media encoder. or you can NEST it first.
its a premiere bug. also it needs to be copied in both premiere-lumetri-technical and adobe media encoder-lumetri-technical

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Depressing. Footage in Premiere/VLC looks VERY different in Quicktime/Vimeo/Youtube
on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:50:14 am

I'm going to guess you expect every viewing application to be identical. Well, they're not. So you're just banging your head against a brick wall.

Do you have some specified delivery drstination? Make your stuff look right for it and let the chips fall where they may.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ken Kaiser
on Sep 8, 2017 at 4:44:17 pm

Spoken like someone in Cable! lol

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:31:19 am

You need to listen to this: https://soundcloud.com/mixinglight/mail-bag-ep1-part2

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Jan 5, 2017 at 1:13:36 am

I think one of the complicating issues is that I have a brand new MacBook and a brand new monitor, both are p3 wide gamut. Am I better of working with an sRGB color space? There seems to be a lot less difference between, say, quicktime and premiere in sRGB than the same 2 programs with the P3 wide profile

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 5, 2017 at 1:27:19 am

premiere can't color manage. it shows rec.709 in preview, render, and mercury transmit. you can use a p3 to rec. 709 LUT if you wish.
the internet is sRGB or basically rec. 709 0-255 with gamma 2.2. in this way, they are exactly the same. until you use a LUT, I recommend setting your monitor to sRGB. most video players can't play p3 except madvr

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Jan 6, 2017 at 12:08:24 am

Thanks, setting to sRGB does bump up the saturation of the quicktime/safari/chrome etc family, and brings it closer to the vlc/premiere colours, but I am wary that this is kinda false and that it won't help the fact that this will encourage me to make less saturated videos ... which is the problem for clients.

Im concerned about the new apple displays, mine included. Previous video projects now look very over-saturated in Premiere/VLC/firefox (which look almost exactly the same as eachother), and other players (quicktime, iPhone, iPad, chrome/safari Facebook/vimeo/youtube, Instagram) look comparatively desaturated (all very similar too each other though). This creates a very big problem going forward ... If I colour-correct my videos to look good in Premiere (as before), my videos end up looking washed out on iPhone/chrome/safari/quicktime/instagram... I would have to grossly oversaturate in Premiere (at least thats what it looks like) to get an acceptable video in all those other formats. It's all very depressing.

I didn't have this problem on my 2012 Mac. I have checked on it again recently and although there is maybe a slight difference between premiere/VLC and quicktime/iphone etc ... its like somehow on the new 2016 displays the differences between those groups are exaggerated due to the super-saturated-ness of whatever is making Premiere/VLC/firefox read the videos in that way.

2 days ago I handed a video to a client I have worked with for a long time producing similar videos, and they commented how desaturated and lifeless it looked compared to usual. This has never ever happened before. The video the client complained about was in the pic below, the one with the woman at the bottom. What you see here is a 'corrected' version. In premiere (left) I'm slightly more saturated than I would like, but it resulted in something the client was more happy as they (and all their customers) will watch the video with the players from the middle column (which still looks a bit yellow and anaemic to me. As for Firefox vimeo, compared to chrome/safari Vimeo ... wow, just, wow...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 6, 2017 at 1:51:30 am

When I color correct a broadcast show, I use my calibrated broadcast monitor. That way I know it's the best that it can get. You are making the best that you can get. HOW OTHER APPS PLAY THAT BACK IS OUT OF YOUR CONTROL! Just like how various broadcast outlets like DirecTV and Comcast and Time Warner compress it for delivery is out of my control. And how people's TVs at home are set up are out of my control.

I recently onlined and graded a show for a network...2 hour doc. When it aired, the executive producer called me and the producer in a panic. "WHY IS THE SHOW SQUISHED AND CUT OFF!?!?!" The producer was watching it on DirecTV, and I ran to turn it on Time Warner. It looked fine. We asked him what he was talking about. He sent a screen shot. Sure enough, the 16:9 output we delivered was SQUEEZED to be letterboxed for no apparent reason on his TV. We couldn't figure this out. Now, it wasn't the CHANNEL that did what he saw, it was his cable providor....because we saw it fine. THE PROVIDOR DID THIS. No clue as to why.

But the point is, that you have control up to a point...and all you can do it make it look good when you deliver. How various players play that back, how it's compressed by YouTube or Vimeo, or Apple...is out of your hands.

I will say that I like the way QT plays it...she was a tad to orange for me...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 6, 2017 at 2:28:31 am

you could trick this lut generator with a png shown in safari, screenshot it and use it for the "modified" png. should interpolate the lut transform.

https://generator.iwltbap.com/

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Jan 6, 2017 at 2:57:07 am

My current thinking is that I will replace my LG ultrafine monitor (P3) with an sRGB monitor. That way, hopefully I won't get massively over-saturated videos as there won't be such a need for colour management

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 6, 2017 at 3:03:15 am

here's a p3 to rec. 709 lut i made. some people say it helps.

https://f1.creativecow.net/9882/p3-to-rec-709-x64-iridas-cube

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Jan 6, 2017 at 3:04:37 am

Thanks! What exactly does this do again? And how to apply?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 6, 2017 at 3:06:27 am

premiere's lumetri can load luts. some mac users with p3 monitors say it helps.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 6, 2017 at 8:34:40 am

[Jim Elliott] "My current thinking is that I will replace my LG ultrafine monitor (P3) with an sRGB monitor. That way, hopefully I won't get massively over-saturated videos as there won't be such a need for colour management"

If you really want to see how it looks you'll need a reference monitor that can be calibrated to a standard (rec709/srgb in this case) and an I/O device that will output a clean uncompressed signal from Premiere to that monitor. The Blackmagic Design Mini Monitor would be the minimum requirement. Anything other than that and it's a crapshoot and like Shane said when it leaves your color chain it's out of your hands.

http://www.lightillusion.com/why_calibrate.html

Return to posts index

Brian Mac
on Jan 11, 2017 at 12:36:03 am

I, too, am now suddenly witnessing these problems. In nearly all of my exports (H.264 and ProRes - the codec doesn't matter), Quicktime and YouTube have a disgustingly different, less-saturated and more "washed out" look than what is displayed in Premiere and VLC. I am working on an iMac 5K monitor. I've read this thread and I'm still confused as of what to do to solve this issue. VLC is identical (if not, pretty darn close) to what my Premiere timeline and export preview shows. As soon as I upload my export to YouTube or view it in Quicktime, however, I get that desaturated washed out look during playback. This washed out look on YouTube and in Quicktime is the same on YouTube on my MacBook, iPhone, and iMac. This leads me to believe that my Premiere timeline and export preview is not true to what the export actually looks like. What trips me up, however, is how VLC looks the same as my Premiere timeline. Is there a setting within Premiere to fix this so my timeline is true to what the export will look like? Using a .LUT to compensate for lost saturation/contrast cannot be the only solution. Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Brian Mac
on Jan 11, 2017 at 3:26:29 am

EDIT/UPDATE: After looking into this for the past three hours, this is almost certainly an issue with a wide gamut display and Premiere Pro. It is my understanding that Premiere Pro does not have any color management options and, as such, operates in the sRGB color space. As is a common issue when displaying the sRGB color space on a P3/wide gamut display like my iMac has, colors will be oversaturated. Within Premiere, color grading looks great but the video export is actually undersaturated because we are compensating for that oversaturation (as a result of the sRGB/P3 discrepancy). It seems as though the only fix right now is to color grade on a sRGB monitor or keep yelling at Adobe to enable color management options within Premiere Pro so that Premiere Pro can actually operate in the P3 color space and not completely skew what the export videos will actually look like.

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Jan 11, 2017 at 8:44:43 am

You are spot on, unfortunately. Final Cut has now got 'wide gamut support' meaning you can choose wide gamut or standard footage (will almost always be standard). I selected standard and the footage looks fine.

The problem IS premiere/Vlc on a wide gamut display

It's incredible more people haven't noticed and are aware of this issue as there is such a huge difference. I downloaded a trial of fcpx and there is becoming more and more reasons to fully migrate.

Any suggestions on how to shout at Adobe, surely they realise people are more likely to switch to final cut than buy an older mac (all macs post-2015 are wide gamut and impossible to grade in premiere)

Return to posts index

Alex Simpson
on Apr 25, 2017 at 5:58:20 pm

Hi Brian,

Just wondering what you finally decided on doing with this dilemma, i've just treated myself to a new 5k late-2015 imac and BOOM, bad exports. So depressing like you say!!

Is buying an sRGB monitor the answer? Will this work for us?

And yes, we need to email Adobe about this!

Many thanks,
Alex

Return to posts index

Stu Lockley
on Jun 10, 2017 at 12:14:03 pm

I too have the same problem on my 5K imac. However I think I have resolved the issue, although the solution is not the best with out a using another NLE.

IF you open premiere, your export in QT and VLC, even youtube, make all 4 windows visible. Then open your colour profile window in system prefs and start flicking through the different profiles (apple rgb, rec 709 etc). You will see QT and youtube change their look inline with the profiles. however Premiere and VLC do not change a bit, they flash the profile and then revert back some kind of default.

Now do the same process with davinci resolve, as you flick through the profiles, resolve will change in line with qt & youtube. (note, i had to click on the resolve app before the profile updated).

This shows that now matter how you have calibrated your 5k imac monitor, premiere ignores it. So you are never grading to any colour standard. Do the same in resolve and the results match.

This is very bad for my projects as I can't colour grade in davinci due to the level the projects are at with AE worked linked between the apps.
https://vimeo.com/221050047

Return to posts index

Stu Lockley
on Jun 13, 2017 at 2:58:10 am

Was sent this answer

premiere isn't color managed. it will ignore any display calibration unless its the native rec. 709 0-255 and that's because your "calibration" will match premiere's internal color engine interpretation similar to AE's pass-through if view-simulate turned off.
premiere won't understand P3 but there is a workaround. you can use LUT transforms to match your monitor's P3 color profile then load them into lumetri technical.

P3 to Rec. 709 x64 iridas cube
CreativeCOW

or you can make your own transform lut with
https://sellfy.com/p/aQ1y/
or with
DisplayCAL (formerly known as dispcalGUI)—Open Source Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS

fixmyyoutube
64 cube iridas lut for burning in darker 16-235 from 0-255 for youtube upload. it darkens image, then youtube re-lightens again.
fixmyyoutube - Creative COW

Return to posts index

Crescent Diamond
on Aug 30, 2017 at 1:20:11 am

I'm having this problem as well on my iMac Retina 5K display with Premiere Pro 17.1.2 and latest After Effects. I'm wondering if anyone has any updates from Adobe on this? Our end product is usually on YouTube, Facebook or screening at an event. VLC looks like Premiere but QuickTime looks desaturated in a major way. I guess the work around is a LUT - maybe one for YouTube and one for QuickTime (playback at an event)?

How can this be so complicated?

Thanks, Crescent D.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 30, 2017 at 1:48:57 am

[Crescent Diamond] " I'm wondering if anyone has any updates from Adobe on this? "

It's not an Adobe issue, it's an issue with the various players and web browsers and websites.

[Crescent Diamond] "VLC looks like Premiere but QuickTime looks desaturated in a major way. I guess the work around is a LUT - maybe one for YouTube and one for QuickTime (playback at an event)?"

YouTube on Safari will look different than YouTube on Firefox, and Chrome. And they will look different than QT Player, which looks different than VLC. And then people's monitors connected to their computers are all calibrated differently, and will display the image differently. These are things you cannot control. Just like you cannot control how people have their monitors set up, or what browser they use.

Go to Best Buy and look at all the TVs...computer monitors. They all show the same video slightly different. There is nothing you can do about that. Make it look good on a properly calibrated monitor, but once you let it out into the wild, there's nothing you can do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 30, 2017 at 4:28:54 am

I second Shane's thoughts. There's no problem within Premiere and there's also no need to check videos on a variety of playback devices because they will all be different.

The only place that you have control is with the originating master file. By calibrating your monitor with a calibration tool like x-rite's i1 you can be confident that you are creating the best product possible.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Aug 30, 2017 at 6:20:22 am

For the record, it's definitely a problem with premiere. Video is essentially in sRGB (rec709), and a wide gamut monitor (in program like premiere that has no colour management) will stretch the colours and make them appear more saturated than what you are exporting. FCPX, lightroom, photoshop etc don't have this problem because you can say to the program 'this is an sRGB/rec709 file' so it renders the colours appropriately. In Premiere there is no colour management... you could even change the display profile and recalibrate your screen and it wouldn't change the image in the program monitor - try it - load up a project and switch to a massively different display profile....the image doesn't even change

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 30, 2017 at 6:27:17 am

[Jim Elliott] "wide gamut monitor"

This is why one would need to calibrate their display(s) according to what one is delivering. I have a reference monitor that has a wide gamut and I use a calibration LUT to limit that to the specification I need. A failure in viewing conditions or choosing a monitor that can't be set up accordingly is a user error not a Premiere error.

Return to posts index

Jim Elliott
on Aug 30, 2017 at 6:35:44 am

As a workaround, when I come to export my video I put a layer of colorista over the top, with saturation at 7.50 and a tiny bit more crushed blacks. At this point it looks a little too saturated/crushed in the program monitor - but the result is the file that is exported and then played on Vimeo, YouTube, iPhone, QuickTime, preview, PowerPoint presentations, Dropbox, safari, chrome is pretty much exactly what I was viewing in Premiere when I was editing. Only problem is now when you play the exported video in a non-colour managed program (vlc/Premiere...I think maybe Firefox) it looks a little oversaturated. If vlc was the only medium the final video was played, I wouldn't put the colorista layer on.

It IS a problem, one that FCPX have addressed recently by asking at the start of a project if you are working with a wide-gamut monitor, and one that Adobe saidi they were looking at when I raised it to them recently. What doesn't help is people saying it isn't a problem because they don't realise what is happening

for anyone who wants to edit what you want in Premiere only for it to look drained in QuickTime/YouTube/Vimeo/iPhone etc then good luck 👍🏻👍🏻

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 30, 2017 at 6:49:59 am

Either you have a properly calibrated color pipeline or all the colours will be wrong. Slapping on some random Colorista value that "looks pretty close" instead of trying to make your monitor match isn't really the way, but hey, you do what you do. If your monitor has any manual settings you can change and you have a supported calibration probe you could check out how close you are with the free Lightspace DPS over here https://www.lightillusion.com/lightspace_dps.html

There's also a manual display calibration guide using said software: https://www.lightillusion.com/manual_calibration_idiots_guide.html

Return to posts index

hakan ahmet
on Oct 5, 2017 at 1:57:58 pm

Is it recommended to put the P3 to Rec709 lut above or below your grade on the time line? (both in seperate adjustment layers). You get a slightly different look either way.. which is better practice?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:47:46 am

[Tero Ahlfors] "You need to listen to this: https://soundcloud.com/mixinglight/mail-bag-ep1-part2"

I like the part about grandma's TV. I like using and Intensity Shuttle and having an old SD CRT monitor for references as shown in the video below. Not that that help with the differences between YouTube, Quicktime, Media Player etc.

[Shane Ross] "I recently onlined and graded a show for a network...2 hour doc. When it aired, the executive producer called me and the producer in a panic. "WHY IS THE SHOW SQUISHED AND CUT OFF!?!?!" The producer was watching it on DirecTV, and I ran to turn it on Time Warner. It looked fine. We asked him what he was talking about. He sent a screen shot. Sure enough, the 16:9 output we delivered was SQUEEZED to be letterboxed for no apparent reason on his TV. We couldn't figure this out. Now, it wasn't the CHANNEL that did what he saw, it was his cable providor....because we saw it fine. THE PROVIDOR DID THIS. No clue as to why."

Was it the provider or was it the zoom and aspect ration of the clients TV setup wrong? I know a lot of people cannot setup their HD TV's to play old SD TV shows without stretching and squeezing the image but it can be done. The video below might be worth watching at about 10 minutes in. Blu-ray players have all the same options. I see so many people miss match the settings.

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Sep 7, 2017 at 7:26:53 pm

Shane Ross is totally correct about this.

I would think almost no one here has a calibrated BROADCAST monitor. If you did you'd understand network/cable delivery standards and what video should look like. Plus how things get screwed up down the chain (cable providers mistakes, home viewers setting up their sets too bright, etc.) My brother loves the brightness and saturation cranked way up. I just tolerate it since if I 'fix' it for him he'll just change it back.

As for the squished 16x9 producer's problem.
Years ago I used to receive standard def master videos from one of the most famous cable networks and the labels would often say 16x9 when it fact they were 4x3 letterbox. Other times they'd be 4x3 center cut (sides cut off). Our delivery standards always said 16x9 only. People screw up sometimes. My guess is the producer's cable provider had some inexperienced operator who didn't understand the settings of his encoder and sent it out wrong.

At trade shows like NAB you can see all kinds of Broadcast monitors from Sony, Panasonic and others. They aren't cheap. They exist for a reason, to know your stuff looks right.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 8, 2017 at 5:47:49 pm
Last Edited By Alan Okey on Sep 8, 2017 at 6:39:56 pm

[Bret Hampton] "I would think almost no one here has a calibrated BROADCAST monitor. If you did you'd understand network/cable delivery standards and what video should look like."

Ditto for using/understanding video scopes. Scopes can tell you as much as or more about an image than your eyes. I'm amazed how many editors can't read or won't use scopes.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 8, 2017 at 9:12:08 pm

[Alan Okey] "I'm amazed how many editors can't read or won't use scopes."

Editors who have never worked in television or cable tv might never have had the training on how to properly use scopes.

But even if you don't know scopes, If you are a professional editor delivering product to clients you need to calibrate your main edit monitor so that you can have the confidence that you're delivering a solid color accurate product. A calibration tool like xrite's i1 pro should be part of any edit suite set up.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Crescent Diamond
on Sep 8, 2017 at 6:56:44 pm

I don't have a broadcast monitor (I know what that is, and I know how to use scopes) but we are also not editing for broadcast - it is for the web and occasionally screening with a projector. These posts are extremely condescending, but what else is new.

Thanks, Crescent D.

Return to posts index

hakan ahmet
on Sep 14, 2017 at 3:39:02 pm

Hi All,

I'm totally in agreeance with those that say calibrating the iMac screen makes no difference, as premier just ignores it.

So, would connecting an external Srgb calibrated monitor to colour grade with do the trick? When people in this feed keep saying "calibrate your screen correctly"...can i assume they mean the external monitor and not the iMac screen itself?

Hakan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2017 at 8:18:32 pm

I doubt a simple external monitor will do the trick! You need a broadcast monitor, and you need a video card for it. Then you calibrate the monitor.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Sep 14, 2017 at 10:00:37 pm

Agree with Dave and Shane

I've always used an external monitor attached to a video card designed for this purposed. Only way to see properly.
I use AJA Kona card, however Blackmagic Decklink is also commonly used. They're pricey but often good deals on ebay.

Then you can stop worrying at get back to editing. Watching your video in Premiere's window is an exercise in frustration, same for all NLEs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]