ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Codec/Container for Editing in PP CC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angel Nieves
Codec/Container for Editing in PP CC
on Jan 3, 2017 at 10:57:06 pm

So I'm making a feature film. My camera only shoots mp4 files. I can import mp4 files into premiere, but after a while I start having trouble editing, or I get a grey or media pending screen instead of video. I don't have enough drive space to convert to prores for a whole feature. My question is, what other choices do I have? What file/container/codec format can I convert to that keeps file sizes in the range of mp4s, but that flow well for editing in Premiere? Please help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Codec/Container for Editing in PP CC
on Jan 4, 2017 at 12:37:01 am

First thing: get more storage. If you don't have enough storage to convert to ProRes, you don't have enough storage PERIOD.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Codec/Container for Editing in PP CC
on Jan 4, 2017 at 1:05:35 am

You can try the new Premiere PROXY workflow, where you make proxies and then relink to the masters later. Offline/online editing.

But really, any "full resolution" codec you cut with, that will be EASY to cut, will be larger. The larger data rate means less compression, and less work for the hardware to decompress on the fly...like what happens when you try to edit AVCHD or H.264 on the fly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]