ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Add keyframes to 3 audio clips at once?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Moore
Add keyframes to 3 audio clips at once?
on Jan 3, 2017 at 7:55:13 pm

Hi All,

I'm editing a 30 minute narrative short and am struggling to find an efficient way to handle editing the audio. It's a dialog driven piece and each video shot has 3 mono audio clips associated (synced) with it (Lav 1, Lav 2, Boom, mix). When doing basic audio editing, such as applying some keyframes to fade down a piece of sound, it's time consuming and not perfectly accurate because I must add keyframes to each of the 3 audio clips separately.

Eventually I need to export an OMF file out for the sound designer, so any fix needs to account for that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason Moore

Freelance director of commercials, film, television and a professor at Brooklyn College, New York

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Add keyframes to 3 audio clips at once?
on Jan 3, 2017 at 8:14:33 pm

You can't. That's one of my BIG issues with Premiere. You can only add keyframes one track at a time, and adjust levels one track at a time. The only responses I've gotten to this, when I have complained in the past, is "oh, do a submix of the tracks you want." Which, to me, is stupid. Adding a step and an unneccesary track. Avid does this right, FCP 7 did too...Premiere...nope.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Moore
on Jan 4, 2017 at 12:01:28 pm

Thanks Shane, that's a real bummer. I'll look for a link for a feature request and at least lend a voice to this issue. BTW I'd like to quickly say I've read dozens of your posts on this forum and have also read a ton of stuff on your blog. Thanks for so many great contributions, including this reply.

Jason

Freelance director of commercials, film, television and a professor at Brooklyn College, New York

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jan 4, 2017 at 4:16:55 pm

Piggybacking on your post Jason. And thanks, Shane, for confirming this. I have stereo tracks imported in XML from an edited timeline in FCP7. And of course they came in as dual mono, though there is little difference between them. If I send them to a submix, can I then put keyframes, effects, etc. on the submix? Can't remember if I tried this.
All best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:16:45 pm

I haven't done any submixes. I think they are stupid for what I'm trying to do. I simply want to add keyframes to multiple tracks at once, and adjust the levels of those keyframes ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Like pretty much any decent NLE with good audio capabilities can do. But Adobe doesn't do it. They excel in some areas, but not audio. and I tell you, a LOT of what I do is audio related. I need to deliver shows that should fully mixed, and can have up to 26 tracks of audio, 8 of which I need to adjust at a time.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:24:02 pm

Agreed. I just wonder if one _could_ add keyframes to a submix, which might solve my own individual problem. How about Audition? I haven't delved in but it seems to have more capabilities. Except my impression is that it's focused on fixing individual tracks or creating a full mix which is not always what we want. Also I'm suspicious of its claim to "non-destructive" modifications, since it replaces your Premiere tracks with its modified tracks. Documentation doesn't explain how to get back your unmodified tracks.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 4, 2017 at 7:36:13 pm

That's the other answer I got..."just send it to Audition and do the temp mix there." NO! Why do I need to go to an outside app to mix audio when I'm still cutting? Doing the rough cut and then fine cut...why do I need to go to Audition to do the simple task of keyframing?

And yes, it sends back modified tracks.. So no, that's NOT an option.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jan 5, 2017 at 4:08:42 am

I'm certainly in agreement with your position, Shane. The Audition path doesn't seems like a practical workflow for several reasons. Still, I wonder if you have any suggestions on how to deal with this show I've been cutting in Pr, since it seems I can't simultaneously keyframe the dual mono tracks. Are there any other options? I don't like it at all. Yet I hate to think of exporting yet again to another NLE this far down the road. Is the only answer not to use Premiere again?
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jan 5, 2017 at 6:30:23 am

Agreed. I just wonder if one _could_ add keyframes to a submix, which might solve my own individual problem. How about Audition? I haven't delved in but it seems to have more capabilities. Except my impression is that it's focused on fixing individual tracks or creating a full mix which is not always what we want. Also I'm suspicious of its claim to "non-destructive" modifications, since it replaces your Premiere tracks with its modified tracks. Documentation doesn't explain how to get back your unmodified tracks.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:49:03 pm

Hi Jason,

Just tried this and it works, but does assume all clips start at same point. If they do not, one could razor cut them all the same to create a uniform start point (at the cut).

Add keyframes to one of the audio clips. Right-click and Copy that clip. Multi-select the other audio clips, then right-click and Paste Attributes

Hope this helps

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 5, 2017 at 4:35:05 am

[Jeff Pulera] "Add keyframes to one of the audio clips. Right-click and Copy that clip. Multi-select the other audio clips, then right-click and Paste Attributes
"

This does work, but its a lot of steps. Most NLEs let you add keyframes to multiple tracks with one keystroke.

The submix thing is not really a good solution either, because if you need to make changes the keyframes DO NOT MOVE WITH THE CLIPS...they are track based.

Return to posts index

Jason Moore
on Jan 5, 2017 at 3:49:57 pm

Thanks Jeff,

I'm just sitting down to start a session, so I'm going to try your suggestion for a few hours and see how it feels. Will report back here soon.

In the meantime, does anyone happen to have a link handy for submitting feature requests to Adobe? One thing I am digging about the CC subscription model is that they are updating Premiere regularly and since I don't have any choice, I get all the updates. So you never know: if enough of us request this, perhaps it will get addressed. To folks like Shane and myself and I suspect thousands of others, editing multi-track audio is an integral part of the early editing stages - not just sound designing and mixing. We need this basic functionality.

Return to posts index

Jason Moore
on Jan 7, 2017 at 3:17:50 pm

Just following up on this. I tried the copy/paste attributes workaround for an hour, it didn't work for me. A lot of clicking and fussing and just not efficient at all. Hopefully Adobe will address this in a software update soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]