ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy pattersonIs Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 1:30:47 pm

I was really a big fan of Adobe's Creative Suite. I had CS 5.5 and I really did not want to join the CC but by 2014 I needed to. My CS 5.5 was getting old. I just have to say once I joined the Creative Cloud I found many bugs in the software right away. Bugs that were not in Premiere CS 5.5. Those bugs still exist today. I honestly think Adobe is simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship with Premiere Pro CC. I think it needs a full rewrite of the code. Every time a new version of Premiere Pro CC is released there are more bugs introduced and they never fix the older ones. I have found many more bugs but those four should have been caught by Adobe's own staff.

Return to posts index

Jan JanowskiRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 2:02:25 pm

I'm staying with CS6.... After CS6 Beta was disbanded, the infamous V6.0.4 was issued without beta support... It was a disaster, and much complaining here was done until they released V6.0.5

On one hand I keep hearing how CC is good, and another how different year versions of CC are bad and to be avoided....

And I just keep Dynamic Linking to Encore from PPRO, as if it was entirely normal to do so......

I'm staying with CS6

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 4:18:48 pm

Well, think about this. How does a software company that RENTS is software grow its revenue? I must get more rentals.

How can a software company get more rentals? It must create new features. Features that will appeal to the target user base. My guess is young millennials in corporate marketing departments -- they grew up with apps, they think they can run ANY kind of software, and their work culture centers around collaboration, portability, the internet and Big Data. Don't forget -- Adobe doesn't have just a Creative Cloud but a really, really big MARKETING cloud. And the features don't even have to work especially well -- they just have to look good. You can fix 'em later.

So if you get those young millennials to say "oooh!" about your software, their bosses are willing to pick up the rentals.

Once those young 'uns get Creative Cloud, they quickly realize they're in over their heads but they'll be damned if they'll admit it -- they can run ANY software, remember? They don't even realize they've become part of the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program. They can point out the stuff that needs fixing the most.

In the meantime, you as a software developer can concentrate on even newer, sparklier features. You can put a little effort into fixing bugs. And if you have the time, you can get a few long-broken features to actually work again. Maybe. Just tell 'em you're really sorry, and that it will all be better in the future. Hold out that carrot.

Well, at least that's what I think is going on at Adobe. Who knows? Some of it may actually be accurate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

andy pattersonRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 5:51:55 pm

With CC I am always afraid to upgrade knowing there is a good chance I will find new bugs. I never felt that way about the CS versions. Premiere Pro needs more Beta testing than Illustrator or Lightroom because of all the 3rd party broadcast hardware available for it. Although Avid is not cheap people claim it is reliable. I guess I will have to find out for myself. I have to admit Premiere is to the point where I must realize things are going to get worse and worse. I think Adobe wasted to much time and money on mobile apps.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 7:37:10 pm

I think Premiere Pro is a great editing program. I use Premiere and After Effects 2015.3 on a daily basis for numerous types of projects and rarely run into bugs now. Final Cut, and to a lesser extent Avid, has numerous bugs as well. I guess it just depends on which ones you are willing to put up with. I will admit Adobe's new releases are always riddled with bugs, but if you wait a while before updating, it's generally pretty smooth.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 7:47:55 pm

What Daniel said. Don't rush to anyone's dot-zero release anymore. More and more frequently we are all the last round of Beta testers now, and not just for Adobe's products.

My experience matches what Daniel describes. We didn't go from 2014 to 2015 until the dot 3 version was released. Wouldn't touch 2017 until dot 2 or dot 3 either.

Let someone else find the issues.

JMHO.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 9:24:48 pm

The problem is, if no one installs a dot-zero release soon after it's available, who's going to beta test it?

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 9:30:05 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Jan 3, 2017 at 9:32:58 pm

concur with Jon D on this one.

Though I'm still running 2015.2 here.

Don't worry Steve, SOMEONE will always want to be running the latest/greatest
version and take the plunge and experience the issues.

I do, once in a great while if there's some compelling reason to do so, but
only with a recent backed up cloned disk so I can immediately revert if
there's real issues.

From my experience the least buggy / most stable version ever was the last
updated version of the original CC release. It never crashed on me.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 10:56:44 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Well, think about this. How does a software company that RENTS is software grow its revenue? I must get more rentals."

Generating revenue is kind of a universal need for any company that wants to keep the lights on. Ex. How does a company that SELLS a product grow it's revenue? It must sell more of its products.

[Jon Doughtie] "What Daniel said. Don't rush to anyone's dot-zero release anymore."

Not jumping on a x.0 release used to be canon, but at some point in the last few years some people decided that updating at the drop of the hat was fine, then they get burned and complain about it on Twitter. Heck, I don't download software updates for anything until it's been out long enough for people to see what bugs it has (and every software update is going to introduce new bugs).

I remember 10yrs ago or so when a QuickTime update (which contained a DRM/security update for iTunes) broke users abilities to export files from programs like AE and PPro. Long story short, the security update rolled out DRM for Apple's new movie/TV service and the software wrongly flagged exports from AE as 'illegal movie downloads'. Oops. I think Apple fixed it w/in a week, but it's a good example of how many aspects of our machines are indirectly connected in ways that might not seem obvious.

Return to posts index

andy pattersonRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 4, 2017 at 5:53:39 am

[Daniel Waldron] "I think Premiere Pro is a great editing program. I use Premiere and After Effects 2015.3 on a daily basis for numerous types of projects and rarely run into bugs now. Final Cut, and to a lesser extent Avid, has numerous bugs as well. I guess it just depends on which ones you are willing to put up with. I will admit Adobe's new releases are always riddled with bugs, but if you wait a while before updating, it's generally pretty smooth."

All the bugs I posted have been there since 2014. I even sent Adobe my projects. They confirmed the bugs and told me it would be fixed in the next major release. Trust me there are more bugs then the ones I posted that still are not fixed. I wasted a lot of my time beta testing for Adobe. If they can't fix it in over two years it is not going to get fixed. They need to scrap the Mercury Playback Engine and rewrite the code from scratch.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Is Adobe simply trying to plug holes in a sinking ship?
by on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:28:00 pm

Fair enough. I certainly understand your annoyance at the bugs. I find the advantages of Premiere far outweigh what are, for me anyway, minor bugs. But if it's not the right software for you, the good thing is there are other options out there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]