ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Video flutter/jitter after exporting .mov

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samu Karhu
Video flutter/jitter after exporting .mov
on Jan 2, 2017 at 1:52:16 pm

There has been similar discussion, but didn´t find exact answer.

I´m trying to prepare short video clips for Shutterstock from my 4k shots. I just clipped one of the 1min video to 20sec clip, did some color correction and exported:

Premiere Pro CC
Format: QuickTime
Codec: Photo-JPEG
Video settings: Match source, Quality 90, 4096x2160 / 23,976

The result is 20sec 1,26gb fluttering/jittering monster, while the original longer 4k video is only 478mb. I have tried with and without rendering, different codecs etc., but with same result.

What´s going on?

I haven´t had any export problems before with mp4 formats, but unfortunately Shutterstock prefer .mov.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Video flutter/jitter after exporting .mov
on Jan 2, 2017 at 4:07:03 pm

Is there actually something wrong with the exported footage or is your computer not able to play it back? What format/codec/fps is the stock footage? What are your sequence settings?

Return to posts index

Samu Karhu
on Jan 3, 2017 at 9:17:47 am

The original is 4K MP4/H264 23,976 fps and sequence editing mode DNxHR 4K with 23,976fps.

I installed VLC player, and indeed the clip works with that without problems, but media player still jitters. I find this strange, because my HP ZBook should have enough juice to run that clip.

Can you tell me why the file size increases so much from original 478mb (1min clip) to 1,26gb (20 sec clip) .mov, even though the clip is shorter and quality should be the same? That can´t be normal?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 3, 2017 at 9:44:03 am

[Samu Karhu] "That can´t be normal?"

Yes it can if the format you're exporting to has a higher bitrate than the original file.

[Samu Karhu] "I installed VLC player, and indeed the clip works with that without problems, but media player still jitters."

What media player? WMP?

Return to posts index

Samu Karhu
on Jan 3, 2017 at 9:49:21 am

[Samu Karhu] "That can´t be normal?"
Yes it can if the format you're exporting to has a higher bitrate than the original file.

Ok. Seems a bit overkill, but ok. ☺

[Samu Karhu] "I installed VLC player, and indeed the clip works with that without problems, but media player still jitters."
What media player? WMP?

VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 3, 2017 at 11:42:48 am

Is the jitter in the file or in the playback? If you go through it frame by frame is the jitter there? Can you upload a clip on how it looks?

Return to posts index

Samu Karhu
on Jan 3, 2017 at 1:09:23 pm

Looks like a playback issue with Windows Media Player, because there is no problem with frame by frame and it works great with VLC media player.

Is there any way to decrease .mov export bitrate and make the file smaller? That might help the playback issue?

Return to posts index

Samu Karhu
on Jan 3, 2017 at 1:27:02 pm

I exported the .mov with lower quality, 85 instead of 90. The file size is lower, but the playback issue just gets worse. Even the VLC player can´t manage that. Looks like it jumps three or four frames instead of normal playback.

Frame by frame, no problem.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:34:47 pm

I'd wager that it is either a Quicktime codec issue and it's not playable in those media players or your computer can't run it in realtime.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:35:33 pm

[Samu Karhu] "Is there any way to decrease .mov export bitrate and make the file smaller? "

That depends completely on the format/codec you're using. A lot of them have specced settings you can't overwrite.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]