ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Glass overlay for framed pictures

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve BrameGlass overlay for framed pictures
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 3:27:57 pm

I'm using a photo of an office wall as a background for a keyed shot. On the wall are 3 framed pictures, and I have to replace the pictures in the frames. Easy enough, but the originals have glass over the pictures, and I'd like to overlay the new pictures with glass as well. I've been looking for stock keyed glass, and the only thing I can find are broken glass shots.

I guess I could shoot a glass pane against black, then use an Unmult effect, but I was wondering if anyone had a source for anything similar that I could use before I go to that trouble.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Glass overlay for framed pictures
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 3:43:51 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 30, 2016 at 3:45:51 pm

Shoot an empty, glassed picture frame with a black insert on a wall. Perhaps in 4-5 different positions. Fill the shot with it. Use the resulting highlights in a blend mode in After Effects to recreate the glass highlights of the original shot.

Now, you MIGHT be able to do this in PP -- I wouldn't even entertain the notion, personally -- but it would like using a Swiss Army Knife to do the same job as a table saw.

Please don't say there's camera movement in this shot. It gets a lot tougher if there is.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Glass overlay for framed pictures
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 3:57:15 pm

Thanks Dave. I understand that process, but was trying to avoid the time and trouble.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2016 at 4:22:03 pm

Well, since you didn't describe the details of the shot it's difficult to know if you have no other alternative than AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Glass overlay for framed pictures
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 4:49:38 pm

No real details, just some framed pictures on a wall that I'd like to add glass over.

Here's the shot -

As I stated, I'm looking for a stock graphic overlay that I can add to the framed picture. I've already replaced the pictures in the frames in PhotoShop(it's a single image, not a video).

As I said, I've found a few stock glass overlays, but they are all of broken glass, namely glass that has been shot with a gun. Can't locate any of just a clean glass pane with reflection highlights.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2016 at 5:09:15 pm

Oh, it's a still! You're in luck!

Take the shots of the empty framed glass on black as described earlier. With a still camera. Then it should be easy to add the reflections to the pictures in Photoshop.

No need for video.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]