ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Anyone know why rendering out alters color?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Kruul
Anyone know why rendering out alters color?
on Dec 27, 2016 at 4:30:00 pm

I've noticed when exporting videos out of Premiere that the color always looks different in my exported file than in Premiere when I'm editing & color correcting.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it an issue with my export settings? Thanks in advance!

(also, as a bonus, if anyone has any tips for fixing the key colors around my actor's hair, that would be amazing 😊)

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Anyone know why rendering out alters color?
on Dec 27, 2016 at 4:47:25 pm

if you import it back into premiere, you'll probably find that there is no color shift. that shift is only happening inside the quicktime player. you need to use another player that supports color management. quicktime's gamma and/or 16-235 video range colors are a bug that was never addressed.

Return to posts index

Martin Kruul
on Dec 27, 2016 at 5:02:32 pm

Chris, you're right! Just opened up the clip in VLC and there is no color change! Thank you for setting my mind at ease.

Shocked that Quicktime has an like that 😲

----
"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 27, 2016 at 8:53:01 pm

Hi Martin,

Chris is right on with the QT Player advice, has long been a known issue for Premiere users. For what purpose/destination is the export used for? Maybe get away from QuickTime if you can.

As for keying, it's mostly about the lighting. And it doesn't have to be expensive - I get the metal bowl clamp-on lights from the hardware store and properly positioned, I can pull really nice keys.

Tips:

Keep talent at least 3 feet from green background is possible, to minimize spill (green reflection onto talent). This can be a real issue around head and shoulder areas.

Lighting on green backdrop does not need to be real bright, rather it just needs to be uniform/evenly lit as possible. The brighter it is, the more green reflected light spills onto talent, means harder to get clean key edges.

Put a small light source above and behind talent, to put some light on head and shoulders. This helps a lot with key edge, otherwise these areas fall off into shadow and there is not good separation between talent and background.

Record using 4:2:2 color if possible. Most camcorders (AVCHD, HDV) record using 4:2:0, which discards a LOT of color information, making it harder to get a clean key. Some camcorders now offer 4:2:2 recording. Or record to Atomos recorder or Black Magic Video Assist. Either will record to ProRes with 4:2:2 color (and far less compression which helps overall). Another option in the studio is connect HDMI or SDI output of "live" camera into a PC or Mac-based capture device, such as those from Black Magic. Some use Thunderbolt interface, others use a PCI-e card. Connect camera to capture card and record LIVE to computer hard drive with very high quality, bypassing compression that happens in-camera.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Martin Kruul
on Dec 29, 2016 at 4:10:27 pm

thanks for the tips, Jeff! And yes, I will stay away from QT 😝

----
"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 29, 2016 at 4:18:46 pm

Hi Martin,

If you can share what the destination is for your videos, we may be able to help suggest best encoding options. If sharing with another editor, then you'd want a good intermediate codec, but for most "delivery" options then H.264 is the current standard.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]