ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Audio Volume

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Audio Volume
on Dec 23, 2016 at 7:00:29 pm

How do you increase the audio volume of a clip without increasing levels. I guess I'm looking for a way to add more umph to my audio without making it any louder.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Audio Volume
on Dec 23, 2016 at 8:46:48 pm

Well my friend, volume is the level. So you may want to work with compressing the dynamic range. This can be applied to any audio, but the suggestions are primarily for voice.

I am not in front of my system so this is from visual memory. Somewhere in audio effects you'll find "Dynamics".

Drop this onto your audio clip and get into the effects panel. You find an "edit" or "custom" button that will open it up. In addition to presets in the dropdown menu, you can customize your settings and save them for easy retrieval.

For voice, I'll EQ some (low cut if it needs it, and bump it up a bit to the 2.5-4kHz range). I'll also compress and limit it. Compression pulls the quiet parts up. Limiting holds the top down. So you end up with a voice (or other source) with less (or almost none, if you are rough with it) dynamic range. The clip seems "louder" without a volume shift.

You're just reducing the difference from loudest to softest parts and, in the case of the EQ settings, working to improve intelligibility. When folks don't have to work as hard to hear everything said, the volume seems better, without being louder.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Audio Volume
on Dec 23, 2016 at 10:59:08 pm

Way cool, thanks.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]