ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Proxy question regarding media encoder and proxy sizes and 4k

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Frader
Proxy question regarding media encoder and proxy sizes and 4k
on Dec 21, 2016 at 10:09:12 pm

Hello,
Please excuse this rudimentary question as I am just beginning to work more heavily with 4k footage.

I am working in Premiere 2017 with old mid 2013 macbook so I am making proxies for manageable editing.

When I make proxies via Media Encoder, my proxies come out as large as the original 4k files that I shot. Is this a problem? Will these large proxy file sizes make it harder on my computer/ dramatically slow down the Premiere workflow as I begin editing? I thought the idea of making proxies is to make more managable file sizes? I understand that NLE software requires better codecs for optimum workflow but will file size be part of the equation? Are my large proxy file sizes essentially slowing down Premiere the way my source 4k footage would?

Additionally, since my macbook pro is old, it takes a long time to make just one proxy (about 2-3 hours). Are there specs that I can export my footage with in media encoder that will expedite the process? As of right now I am exporting my 4k footage to Dnxsq 1080p

Thanks for your help in advance!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Proxy question regarding media encoder and proxy sizes and 4k
on Dec 22, 2016 at 7:16:42 am

if you had highly compressed 4k, then the slightly less compressed proxy might be a little bigger. the main difference is the ability to scrub and play the timeline smoother. Another option, depending on the codec, if you used smart rendering it would greatly decrease rendering time.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/smart-rendering.html
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/10/11/smart-rendering-in-premiere-...

Return to posts index

Jake Frader
on Dec 22, 2016 at 7:16:18 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response!

Just to clarify what you're saying; the large file size doesn't inhibit the ability to play the Premiere timeline smoothly (in my case where I have proxy files that are similar in size to the original footage)? Is this correct? Instead smooth playback is a result of transcoding 4k to a different format, ie 1080P?

I don't see the smart rendering option. Can't seem to find more info on it. Is it located in Media Encoder, near Codec settings?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Dec 22, 2016 at 7:41:09 pm

"I don't see the smart rendering option."

Return to posts index

Jake Frader
on Dec 22, 2016 at 10:26:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. I must not have this option due to my old processor but good to know.

If anyone could confirm my 4k question above that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Alexandre Brandt
on Dec 23, 2016 at 6:27:10 pm

Hello there,

You should read this page about the Proxy workflow
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/ingest-proxy-workflow-premiere-pro-...

Because your editing hardware is a bottleneck in your workflow, try to work with light proxies, HD of even SD with a small bitrate. You can try to make HD proxies in Apple ProRes Proxy codec (matching frame rate) for example and see how this works on your system.

Good luck !

--
Producer | Filmmaker
Geneva - Switzerland
https://vimeo.com/channels/800406

Return to posts index

Jake Frader
on Dec 23, 2016 at 7:34:01 pm

Thank you for this, Alexandre. I have made ProRes proxy 1080p files from my original 4k footage. However, I was a bit surprised to see how large my 1080p proxy files are, very similar in file size to my original 4k footage (ie 64 gb proxy vs 67 gbs for 4k)

So my main question essentially is, does the actual file size of my 1080p proxies affect processing speed and ability to play footage in my Premiere timeline, or is timeline efficiency strictly the result of converting 4k files to 1080p?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Dec 24, 2016 at 9:04:52 am

I know this is Davinci Resolve but maybe you can use some of it with respect to proxy editing in Premiere !

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 24, 2016 at 9:29:59 am

Hi...

if your 1080 files are nearly identical in file size to the 4k files, that should give you an indication of just how heavily compressed the 4k material is to make it that small.

This means that the computer has to work very hard to display the 4k in terms of decompressing the frames for playback.

The 1080 requires much less decompression and is simpler for the computer to display which is why playback would be smoother even though the file size is similar.

So it's not the data rate of the materials that is causing you a problem. It's the compression.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Jake Frader
on Dec 25, 2016 at 10:10:46 pm

Got it. Thanks for your reply, Alex. Very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]