ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is there a CreativeCow forum to ask about video editing rates (fees)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Osaka
Is there a CreativeCow forum to ask about video editing rates (fees)
on Dec 20, 2016 at 10:48:39 pm

Is this the best forum to ask? Los Angeles, PPro editing for a doctor talking about her workshops and introducing her techniques. I need an hourly rate to give her. I have the raw video and audio and now have to edit it. For her website promotions and during her workshops. Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Is there a CreativeCow forum to ask about video editing rates (fees)
on Dec 21, 2016 at 12:10:40 am

Do you really think you'll edit the job in hours? If not, why bill in hourly increments?

Editors are not "service bureaus," like copy shops, we are craftsmen and craftswomen who should be paid by the day, or at the very least, half day. The kind of work you're doing should command at least $500 to $600 a day at a minimum, and maybe more, depending upon your experience and expertise. If you're worried about losing the job because you're overcharging, that typically means you're working for clients who are beneath your level. Don't stoop to their level out of fear, because that sets the bar too low for you and for the rest of us.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Victor Osaka
on Dec 21, 2016 at 3:37:08 am

Thank you for your reply David. It tells me that I am on the right track. My asking rate comes out to be between $65 and $75 per hour. I gave them a flat fee as this is the first time doing business with them.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Dec 21, 2016 at 3:08:20 pm

Beware of the flat rate for a production. It will always bite you in the end.

Give them an estimate of how many hours the project will take and the corresponding hourly rate. If they want to keep coming back and making changes after it is complete, and the initial hours of the estimate have been met, then they get charged the hourly rate for as long as they want to keep making changes. Otherwise, the client will turn a 20 hour project into a 40 hour project and your rate/profit is cut in half.

And heed Dave's words about working with clients beneath your level. You are in business and they are in business. It is not your business to support their business with financial cuts on your end. A good client relationship is respect on both sides.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 21, 2016 at 9:39:10 pm

EXACTLY! Give an hourly rate, and an estimate based on what their needs are. But let them know that the cost might fluctuate, depending on many factors...it is just an estimate. But stick to the hourly rate...even for changes. If they complain, ask them, "Do you give breaks to new patients? Do you do work for a flat rate? If you need to go back and fix something, do you not charge for this?" You are just like them.. a professional. And you bill just like they do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sunderland Green
on Feb 4, 2017 at 7:33:22 am

Very informative information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]