ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

mac or pc

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonn Gibsonmac or pc
by on Dec 20, 2016 at 3:16:30 pm

what's best for video editing, and computer design? looking to run adobe creative suit and mya. I heard that pc computers over heat and the case is not that strong and macs are expensive. So whats the best way to go. Im using this as an educational tool for the most part. not really working with customers at this point.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: mac or pc
by on Dec 20, 2016 at 4:11:27 pm

My reply will be biased because I've never been a Mac user, however I am on this and many other video forums every day, and have been editing on PCs for nearly 20 years.

1. A Mac typically costs somewhat more than a PC with similar specs.

2. A Mac usually has less configuration options, harder to update after purchase.

3. Mac users seem to have more headaches with Adobe products, based on posts I read every single day on Adobe forums. For instance, OS updates have caused major headaches for users recently.

4. "PCs overheat". So do some cars. It's all about the cooling system. This is not an inherent problem with PCs. Silliness. Don't believe everything you read on the world-wide inter-web.

5. "The case is not that strong". There is more than one PC case out there. Maybe hundreds to choose from actually. Some are cheap, some are well-built. Get a decent case, it's a good investment.

My base recommendation is an Intel Core-i7 based PC (Z170 chipset, or step up to X99), with minimum16 or 32GB RAM., SSD Boot drive, GTX 1060 (6GB) display card, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 2TB or more of video storage. RAID drive recommended, either internal or many external USB 3.0 options available specifically for video editing performance.

A system like that might run around $2K or so to start. Of course, you will have options of faster processors, more cores, RAM and hard drive size, display card upgrades, etc. to consider. In any case, get an ample power supply, say 750w minimum.

Disclaimer: my employer builds custom PCs for Adobe users. Would also recommend looking at Puget Systems for turn-key machines. Don't get an off-the-shelf PC from a warehouse or big box store, get something meant for editing.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: mac or pc
by on Dec 20, 2016 at 7:05:59 pm

I sit at a mac. I have an old Mac Pro at home.
I've also been a long time windows user as well.

Strictly from a value perspective...

You'll get way more PC for the same money spent.

Tons more Graphics hardware options which is a big deal when it comes to both Maya and Adobe apps.

All that being said, my Mac has been basically trouble free for years now...solid.

I do find that the amount of spyware internet clogging stuff that ends up on a PC to require much more time and attention. But I find that I my surfing patterns have become pretty static and that I can discern reasonably what should and should not be clicked on. So maybe I'm thinking more about the headaches I've had fixing other people's machines than my own.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

andy pattersonRe: mac or pc
by on Dec 22, 2016 at 11:36:25 am

I think the OS is most important aspect at this point in time as opposed to the hardware. I think the MS Surface Studio showed how natural a touch screen can be to work with. Why have a mouse and keyboard? I have seen the Mac Book Pro's Touchbar demos. I have seen them scroll the FCPX timeline but keep in mind on a laptop you are only a few inches from the screen. Why not just touch the screen? I admit Apple can put the trim and cut tools on the touch bar by why not just use the existing keyboard shortcuts or use a laptop with touch screen? I think the Touchbar is odd for the simple fact you would have to change your editing style if you are on a 2013 Mac Pro VS a 2016 Mac Book Pro with the Touchbar. With Windows you can get touch screen for less than the $300.00 Apple will charge for the touch bar. Keep in mind for video editing you will not need anything like the screen on the Surface Studio. Having said that we will probably see screens that will rival the Surface Studio for less $1000.00 in about 2 years. By 2020 they will be less than $500.00. I am not trying to suggest you want a touch screen I am pointing out the huge difference between Apple and MS. I hope my response helps you decide what will be your best option looking forward into the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]