ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

New laptop to run Premiere for editing video. Spec advice

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan HistedNew laptop to run Premiere for editing video. Spec advice
by on Dec 18, 2016 at 7:56:53 pm

I'm about to buy a laptop I want to edit 1080p and 4k on, in premier : the right price point (for me!) seems to be for an HP. Specifically : the OMEN 17-w107na 4K Gaming Laptop, with a 4K screen (I also want to use it for stills as well, in lightroom hence wanting a 4k screen).

key features :
Windows 10 Home 64
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Quad-core processor
43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal 4K Ultra-HD (3840 x 2160) display with G-SYNC™
16 GB RAM DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB) with 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD and 1TB storage (7200 rpm SATA HD)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

It has 3 x usb3.1 (gen1) ports, no thunderbolt ☹

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Y3W52EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Does this seem a sensible machine ? I really don't want to spend much more, but am concerned that the HD situation will be an achilies heel. And the USB ports is not ideal... This seems about the cheapest laptop however that will have sufficient grunt - esp given it has a Pascal GPU. MSI, Alienware etc, will add £600+ to get a more "comfortable" spec. but do I need to ?

what do you guys reckon ? what will be it's weakest attributes? Should I condsider upgrading the second drive to an SSD to allow online editing ?

What I will be editing :

promotional videos for my business e.g.

I have just shot c. 700 Gbytes of footage from a sporting event in Austria I shot over 3 days, on both a Gopro black Hero 4 : 4k at 25 fps (PAL - I'm in Europe), and mostly 7d ii footage : 1080p at 25 fps, but also some 50fps.

I've got external audio (zoom h4n).

I'm wanting to edit to produce half a dozen 5 minute pieces prob rendered into 1080p.

any advice gratefully received. I am not flush with money, but want something I can use as a proper tool, ideally for at least a couple of years, and realise the "laptop spec" target keeps moving of course.

Thanks !
Jonathan

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: New laptop to run Premiere for editing video. Spec advice
by on Dec 23, 2016 at 9:01:14 pm

I would guess 4K footage would choke it to death. You'd probably want to familiarize yourself with a proxy workflow for that material.

4k really would demand a RAID, which would obviously have to be outboard.

And I would want to double the RAM if it was me.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Jonathan HistedRe: New laptop to run Premiere for editing video. Spec advice
by on Dec 24, 2016 at 10:40:48 pm

Thank you for your advice. I'm feeling that I may have to beef up the spec a bit - I'm only just on the edge of acceptability.

In particular - I think I will do better with a gigabyte p37 v6 laptop. (Very similar price):

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB
6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
Light & Slim: Only 2.8kg, 22.5mm
UHD 3840 x 2160 IPS Display (optional)
M.2 PCIe Gen3 – Max. 2000MB/s
DDR4 2133/2400MHz – Up to 32GB
USB 3.1 Type-C – 10Gbps / 5V 3A
HDMI 2.0 – 4K at 60Hz

Similar hardware (sadly still RAM 16 G) , but contains 2x M.2 interfaces - so I can add a large (eg 1 Tbyte) fast M2 SSD , to get round the raid problem (for data files) . In addition to the one it comes with from the manufacturer of 256 G, which I envisage for OS. And the 1 TB 7,200 rpm one it ships with becomes very slow backup space.

It also has 3 x US B 3.1 (gen 1 ) ports and 1 x USB 3.1 gen 2 (type C) ports- the last being good for fast outboard storage ( sadly no thunderbolt though).

Return to posts index

andy pattersonRe: New laptop to run Premiere for editing video. Spec advice
by on Dec 23, 2016 at 9:47:33 pm

To edit 4K you will probably have to drop down to 1/4 resolution. It should work OK but you should also get an SSD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]