ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Can my Macbook handle 4k footage?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Cavagnero
Can my Macbook handle 4k footage?
on Dec 15, 2016 at 8:25:49 pm

Hello, I have a mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro with 2,2 Ghz i7 Cpu, 16 Gb of ram and Intel Iris Pro and I found that Premiere Pro struggles to play 4k footage from Sony Fs5 (MXF files) and after a while it begins to seriously "stutter". Do I have any chance of fixing this? Do I have to work with proxies?

Return to posts index

Will Duncan
Re: Can my Macbook handle 4k footage?
on Dec 15, 2016 at 9:22:51 pm

Without a dedicated video card, it's going to be tough. CPU and RAM meet minimum requirements, but the onboard Iris card will be a major bottleneck. Native MXF from the camera would probably benefit from converting to something else to reduce the load, but that's a band-aid on a bigger wound I'm afraid.

Complexity of your timeline will always be an issue as well.

I haven't personally worked with external GPU's as of yet. But I do know people working with RED footage who offload that heavy lifting to an external box.

The good news, we can always work smarter. Hardware shouldn't be a limitation unless you're working for time / speed on deadline. Premiere is so much better at handling Proxy workflows now, the only major downside is taking the time to convert everything, which I personally welcome in the age of how fast can we produce stuff. Gives me time to organize and put things away properly.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 16, 2016 at 2:17:47 am

im going to throw this out there since it doesn't cost anything to tweak premiere, except your time.
tweaking premiere to playback smoother:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2234109

Return to posts index

Joy Kawk
on Feb 27, 2017 at 6:32:16 am

Actually I remember Premiere pro has proxy or what for lager video file(either in file size or frame size).But I haven.t tried it myself. Maybe you can try it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]