ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Another newbie output question- sorry...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug O'Connor
Another newbie output question- sorry...
on Dec 14, 2016 at 8:17:10 pm

Hi ,

I am making a long overdue transition from Avid, and I am trying to mostly find my own way.
My apologies, as I am sure this info is somewhere in the archives.

I have a film that I will master in 1080/60, but by project; sequence setting is much smaller- 960 by 720. Frame rate matches. This is how the project came to me, and I did not pay it much attention.
Will this impact my export? What I plan to do is render to ProRes HQ 1920 by 1080 then send it to a colorist.
When exported, does the render go around any sequence settings and just go between source media and what has been selected for output?

I am sorry to say that after a few decades, I am stuck in the Avid mindset. I am trying to shake it!
Thanks in advance for your patience and your insight.

Doug
Z Post

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Another newbie output question- sorry...
on Dec 14, 2016 at 8:41:29 pm

Already footage in the 960x720 project? If not, can it and make a new sequence, cutting at full rez.

Footage already in there? Were they cutting with proxy files for some reason?

Full rez footage resized in the sequence? Make a new sequence, copy/paste footage over, or change existing sequence settings to match.

Something other than these options? Then I am just confused and deranged. Wait - I'm confused and deranged anyway. Never mind.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 14, 2016 at 8:42:46 pm

well,
"Set to Frame Size" and "Scale to Frame Size" are different
"Set to Frame Size" retains the original high-resolution for panning around.
"Scale to Frame Size" will rasterize the image smaller. any upconverting later in export will be image degradation.

change the sequence setting to match 1080 unless you agree to the two above ways

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 15, 2016 at 3:53:03 pm

The all-important question I've not seen addressed - what format is the source video??

Is it truly 960x720? That would be something like a Panasonic "anamorphic" 720p, having less-than 720p resolution. Bumping that footage all the way up to 1920x1080...not sure how soft it might look.

Right-click a clip in Project Bin and hit Properties, what does it say?

If the footage is 1080p60, then by all means do what Jon said and create a 1080p60 sequence and copy/paste edits from existing sequence over to new one.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Doug O'Connor
on Dec 15, 2016 at 4:36:34 pm

Thank you for the recommendations,

That would jhave been a challenge to uncover.
My main source footage is 1920 by 1080, but I have a lot of archival of various flavors.
This film is nearly complete, and has a done of stuff squished into it,but ultimately I will up-convert the SD using a program like Red Giants Instant 4K- unless you have a better suggestion.

So I will create a new project with the proper frame dimension and frame rate.
and copy my current sequence in. Will I then have to do a bulk "Scale to frame size" ?
Or should eberything comply, since it is native?- though I guess I will manually need to deal with my archival?

Again,
May thanks for the help

Doug
Z Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 15, 2016 at 4:44:43 pm

Hi Doug,

If you are using any 1080 clips in the project, and you want to export as 1080, then definitely go with the 1080 sequence. What happens for instance when using a 720p sequence is that any 1080 footage in that sequence gets bumped down to 720p and if you later export as 1080, the 1080 clips do NOT get back their original quality - they behave as if they were 720p to start with and need to get upscaled with all the other clips.

If you copy/paste contents of sequence to new 1080p60 sequence, the 1080 clips should be just fine. If you have already applied "Scale to Frame" or "Set to Frame" to any other clips, they would scale to the new sequence automatically.

I've not used Instant 4K software, so I don't know how that operates. Might need to turn off scaling for those clips then.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Doug O'Connor
on Dec 15, 2016 at 6:09:03 pm

Thanks Jeff,

This sequence came to me with most work on it done.
But when I created a new 1920 by 1080 sequence and copied the smaller sequence into it- things got kind of wonky-
I think because there is so much archival in here. I am going to guess that messing around with scale to frame is my best option. My co-editor is suf=ggesting we just export off of this sequence to master- but this will play at festivals projected- and if quality suffers that does not seem like an option.

IS there anything else to be done?

Thanks again,

Doug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]