ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Dynamic link titles from PP to AE

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Groenier
Dynamic link titles from PP to AE
on Dec 13, 2016 at 3:35:26 pm

Trying to link my Premiere 2017 edit over to AE 2017 but my titles show up as black solids. Huh?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Dynamic link titles from PP to AE
on Dec 13, 2016 at 6:48:31 pm

That's because the titles in PP don't work in AE. Way different text & titling software between the two.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave Groenier
on Dec 13, 2016 at 7:32:24 pm

Dave,
Thanks for getting back to me so quick.
I thought the whole dynamic link thing was an integration of Automatic Duck, which works fine with FCP title tool.
Funny that it works well with arch nemesis Apple but not with sister apps. Or am I wrong on that?

Is there another way to input titles that will come across? It's hard to time supers in AE where it's a total pain to playback in RT. Maybe a third party titler?
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Dec 14, 2016 at 1:13:30 am

Hi Dave,

Are you trying to create your titles in Premiere and bring them into AE? If so, what you're seeing is expected (yes not ideal I know). The titles will be replaced with a solid but remain in the correct location in the timeline.

The most common workflow is to create your titles in AE and bring them into Premiere via dynamic link or using text templates. Here's a tutorial with the latest workflow incase you're not familiar with it.

http://www.premierebro.com/premiere-in-post/motion-tutorials-live-text-temp...

Hope this helps!

Best,

Peter

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Dave Groenier
on Dec 14, 2016 at 4:11:37 pm

Very cool. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 14, 2016 at 3:55:07 pm

Well, you don't HAVE to time out supers in AE. You just have to make them at their maximum duration (e.g. the animated background for a lower-third), render them out in AE with an alpha channel and import them into PP. The chore then becomes more of an assembly project where you can re-use individual components.... like the recurring animated lower-third background. It's pretty simple, actually.

If the text is static, just add text to the background in PP. If it's animated, make sure it's long enough & more in AE & render.

I don't trust Dynamic Link for much of anything if it's my butt on the line or pressing deadline. Too many things tend to go wrong to make it 100% reliable.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave Groenier
on Dec 14, 2016 at 4:44:39 pm

Thanks, Dave.

Yeah, it's just that I've used AutoDuck for years, and I like doing as much of the edit in my editing app before I get over to AE. I always had to reformat my titles after jumping over to AE but at least the text content was already there. Now I have to constantly refer back to my Premiere timeline to see which title this black solid represents, and then re-type it.
Ugh. I don't ever really pre-produce things before I have a rough edit so that's why I'm a little disappointed about this.

If anyone at Adobe is reading this, it's time to upgrade the PP title tool. If AutoDuck could make it work with FCP/Avid over a decade ago, I think you guys should be able to do something.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 14, 2016 at 5:26:48 pm

[Dave Groenier] "If anyone at Adobe is reading this, it's time to upgrade the PP title tool. If AutoDuck could make it work with FCP/Avid over a decade ago, I think you guys should be able to do something."

I hear you, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The mundane, basic improvements that make life easier for users don't seem to be high on Adobe's list of Things To Do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 14, 2016 at 5:43:59 pm

historically...

the title tool in PPro came about where I think they hired an engineer from Incsriber to write it, as it was a very popular add on to a lot of NLE's at the time.

That's probably the main reason it hasn't been touched much as of late. (just my speculation).

As the suite of applications have moved together over time...

there are a lot ways to deal with the workflow weaknesses of the titler.

Multi layered PSD's and AE templates are what immediately come to mind.

so I'd consider the workflow scope carefully before just jumping into titler.

We pretty much reserve it for simple disclaimer work here.

Everything else is approached differently.

.02 in the bucket...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]